Penny's Reviews > The Marbury Lens

The Marbury Lens by Andrew  Smith

Dec 27, 10

bookshelves: bro-mance, dystopian
Read from December 23 to 27, 2010

This was a difficult book for me to read. It deals with a lot of hard-hitting issues. Issues which are seldom, if ever, addressed in YA fiction. At times it made me quite uncomfortable. But I continued reading because it was the sort of book one can't easily put down--I knew I'd never forgive myself if I didn't finish it.

The Marbury Lens drew me in and spit me out, and I liked it--the entire frightening journey. I liked it.

Unfortunately I cannot give this book four or five stars, like many others have. At best I can give this book three and a half stars. Yes, The Marbury Lens is quite good, but I didn't 'really like it', nor did I think it was amazing, despite the fact that Smith's Marbury Lens crosses over into--as far as I know--uncharted territory in YA fiction. There are parts of this book which are genuinely amazing, but overall I just like this book, nothing more.

I admire Andrew Smith for daring to go where so many authors have not. It is a bold move on his part, and I truly do admire him for making it.

I hope this book's success inspires other authors and other publishers to consider writing/publishing books that delve into this territory some more. Also, the whole 'bro-mance' angle is quite intriguing. Hoping to read more bro-mances in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marbury Lens.

12/23/2010 "Not the sort of thing one wants to be reading at The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, but I'm already addicted. I can't look away. I don't want to. Andrew Smith crafted a horrifying universe, but I'm not afraid of it. I'm fascinated."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana You are very cryptic, Penny.

Penny I didn't want to go into what happens. It would sort of ruin the story... Okay, well, the MC, a sixteen-year-old boy, is abducted by some gross older man at the beginning of this book.

You see after a night of partying MC wakes up chained to a bed in the old guy's house. Very bad things may or may not happen to MC...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really do agree with your review. It went phenomenally interesting places and was entirely original, and I admire that about it. But I felt it never seemed to quite reach its potential, and I certainly didn't love it. But I had no idea what to say about it and then forgot about it. :P Thank you for your review!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Penny wrote: "I didn't want to go into what happens. It would sort of ruin the story... Okay, well, the MC, a sixteen-year-old boy, is abducted by some gross older man at the beginning of this book.

You see ..."

And, Tatiana, if you are interested in reading it, or were,, the book is much about about Penny's review than comment #2. The book itself is cryptic!

message 5: by Penny (last edited Dec 28, 2010 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Penny Oh, yeah, there is much much more to this book then what happens in the beginning. The beginning is the tip of the iceberg. The Marbury Lens is an experience not unlike falling down the rabbit's hole--for me. Total trip.

message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am quite convinced not to be bothered with it. I've never liked Alice in Wonderland:)