Nikki's Reviews > Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Jan 21, 11

liked it
bookshelves: humour, speculative-fiction, mystery
Read on January 21, 2011

One of the most annoying things about reading the Kindle edition of this book was the fact that popular highlights show up and you can't turn them off, at least not easily. It drove me mad. It was inevitably the parts that you'd pick out as funny for yourself, not anything surprisingly good...

Anyway, I grew up with Douglas Adams' work in the background, on the radio while we ate or while me and my sister played after dinner and my dad tried to relax. He's a big Douglas Adams fan, though he sticks mostly to the radio stuff, thinking that has more life.

I do enjoy Douglas Adams' writing, but I didn't find Dirk Gently as compulsive to read as Hitchhiker's Guide. There were a lot of good bits -- things I might pull out as memorable quotes -- but it didn't come out that memorably as a whole. The quotes are memorable without the story surrounding them. They're sort of bon mots that felt sort of pasted in, for the most part.

It's fun, don't get me wrong, and it was excellent train reading: entertaining without needing my full focus.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

message 1: by Suna (new)

Suna You've summarized exactly what I've heard from everybody over the years whenever this book came up: Good, but just doesn't hit the spot the way the Hitchhiker books did.

I might just not bother even though i have a huge soft spot for the late man himself.
Did you read The Salmon of Doubt?
Made me feel so affectionate towards him.

Nikki My brother thinks the second book is better, so I guess I'll pass judgement on how worth it this is when I've read that!

I haven't, no, I want to... someday.

Robert Ha! This is my favourite Adams novel! I like the Radio 4 Hitchhikers better than the books.

Nikki I think the Hitchhiker's books are more compulsive for me because they're more familiar -- they're a 'Dad thing' in my mind, too, and I'm a daddy's girl. *laughs*

Robert I think over-familiarity is what has put me off the Hitchhikers' books...I know all the jokes too well.

Nikki Yeah, for me it's comfortably background-familiar.