Tatiana's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: 1001, 2011, classics
Read on January 03, 2011

Quite risque and controversial for its time. I can't really imagine that the movie with none other than Audrey Hepburn would stay very close to the novel. And Holly is a special kind of a character - a woman damaged so badly she will never be normal no matter how hard she tries - my favorite. It's an infinitely heartbreaking story, actually.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

01/03/2011 page 70

Danielle One of my all time favorite movies! I haven't read the book yet, but your right about calling it a "infinitely heartbreaking story." I really need to read this! :)

Tatiana From what I heard, Holly in the book is not as endearing as Holly in the movie...

message 3: by JJ (new)

JJ Truman Capote actually wrote Holly Golightly with Marilyn Monroe in mind.

message 4: by Marija (last edited Feb 06, 2011 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marija JJ wrote: "Truman Capote actually wrote Holly Golightly with Marilyn Monroe in mind."

That's true. I remember coming across that when I was doing research. But you know, I like the book and film equally and can picture both Marilyn and Audrey as Holly. Here's a link with some interesting trivia, including Capote's thoughts regarding Audrey's casting:

What surprised me was Capote's statement regarding "the perfect person" to play Holly as he originally wrote her.

Tatiana Thanks, Helen.

Jason I actually was surprised at how closely the movie followed the book given how people think it veered off radically. The plot is almost exactly the same minus the romance. Most of the memorable lines from the movie are plucked directly from the book. The movie is deeper and more likable, though I will say I liked the book's treatment of the narrator's personal life better - i.e. it barely existed.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason How about the writing style and prose? easy breezy? or takes some concentration and one you should set some quiet time aside away from distractions and really concentrate?

Tatiana Very readable in my opinion.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Tatiana wrote: "Very readable in my opinion."

thanks! its always good to know what im getting myself into. I have been avoiding harder lit, or writing that is more complex and needs time and concentration.... that's for summer.