Rayni's Reviews > Desert Solitaire

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Solitaire.

message 1: by Wayne (new)

Wayne So, so interesting perusing the reviews of this book.
So many contradictions in this author, and so you either love him or hate him!!!!
You'll obviously have an interesting time, Rayni!!!!!

message 2: by Rayni (new) - added it

Rayni This is the book they give us a week to read. The discussion will be led by a professor from Idaho State University. There are 269 pages & it's small print. The back cover is full of oxymorons. Rude & sensitive. Angry & loving. I think I need to get started on these books now.

message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne I realise now that this must be part of a course you are doing ...silly me!!
Because of course this selection of books has some common themes.
Alot of reading for poor ole You.
And a written assignment on the Whole Bloomin' Lot I guarantee!!!!
OUCH!

message 4: by Rayni (last edited Dec 30, 2010 09:36AM) (new) - added it

Rayni Ya, the theme this year is Our Earth, Our Ethics. Last year it was food! It was so great!! We got to sample food from each book - cardamom (Climbing the Mango Trees), chili powder in hot chocolate (Chocolat). Wow!

There is NO written assignment. It is so cool though to meet w/about 25 people from the community who have all read the same book. Well, not all, some show up & they haven't read the book. I did that a couple of times last year. There were some I just couldn't wrap my head around.

message 5: by Wayne (new)

Wayne That sounds a really wonderful idea.
No assignment...a blessing!!!
Just books and people and chat...GREAT!!!
Envy you!!!

message 6: by Rayni (new) - added it

Rayni It's sponsored by the state library. Our community has been fortunate to have this program every year for several years. And no cost to the participants.