Greg's Reviews > The Gold Bug Variations

The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers

Jul 26, 09

bookshelves: fiction, books-that-make-me-feel-dumb
Read in April, 2002

It's been about five years since I read this book. It was so good, so smart and so well constructed that I haven't read another Richard Powers book since. I feel like his books need to be saved for just the right time, I don't know when that time is, but I'd always like to have another of his books to read for the first time waiting for me, sort of like Raymond Chandler or the last DFW stories I haven't read yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gold Bug Variations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Jan 03, 2010 11:41AM) (new) - added it

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I was this close to buying this one at an awesome used bookstore in Chicago (Myopic Books) the other day. Unfortunately I'm too poor. But I now have seventy five dollars worth of amazon.com gift cards to use and I think I'll be grabbing this one up. Galatea 2.2 makes me feel like Powers could very well be a new Favorite Author of mine. The Echo Maker looks awesome, too. It features the Capgras delusion which is really bizarre and interesting.

oriana It was so good, so smart and so well constructed that I haven't read another Richard Powers book since.

Oh! The exact same thing happened to me. I bought several of his books right after finishing this one, but somehow I just couldn't bring myself to read them. But since now everyone's talking up Galatea 2.2, I realize I've been stupid and should read him again right away.