~Tina~'s Reviews > The Secret Swan

The Secret Swan by Shana Abe

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: own, historical, adults, read-2011, favorites
Read from September 15 to 18, 2011

The Secret Swan is a beautiful historical romance about a fifteen year old girl named Lady Amiranth St Clare, who has been hopelessly in love with eighteen year old Earl of Haverlocke, Tristan Geriant since she was just a little girl. The day finally arrives and all her dreams and fantasies come true, she is about to marry the love of her life. But at last, Tristan only married her out of duty and for her bloodline. Soon after they are wed, he abandons her at one of his manors -Safere- and rides out to seeks his true passion, the glory of war.
8 long years as passed and Tristan has finally come home. He sees a lovely, achingly familiar, woman in the garden and learns that it is his wife's cousin, Lady Lily Granger and comes to learn that he has lost a great deal while being presumed dead. His title, his identity and his wife, Amiranth. But there is is still the lovely Lily...but is she really who she clams to be? She has stirred something deep and passionate in Tristan's heart.
Can he finally be the man he's always meant to become?

This is only the second book I've read from Shana Abé and I think it's safe to say that I finally found a historical author who's books I simply adore. The only other book I've read from her was The Smoke Thief, and while I have the rest of the series at the ready, I picked up The Secret Swan in hopes to find a sweet romance.
And that's exactly what I found.

I consider myself a simple-minded reader so I've never been one for this genre since, truthfully, I usually don't understand half of what I'm reading, but Abé's book are never dulled down by heavy traditional tongue, which as always intimated me in other reads. Her writing makes me crave historical romance. She makes it easy to absorb myself within the characters drama and the engaging story-line.

Tristan and Amiranth story is filled with so many different emotions. It is a simply enough story, overly predictable and doesn't have any huge stunning revelation, but it's also filled with steady complications, constant wonder, and aching anticipation.
It's the getting there that makes it so worth the read.
Tristan was an arrogant ass and his fame-seeking was his downfall, but he was so young and the past of a regretful mind has a way of changing a mans spirit and eventually he has come to learn of what is truly important in life. Love.
Amiranth has felt the sting of betrayal. Love and loneliness has slapped her in the face repeatedly and she has become a bitter version of herself. A fresh identity? A different life? How easy would it be to disappear and slip into someone else. It appeals to her in so many ways that she has even convinced herself that's it's the right thing to do and within time even believe that he was just a dream, after all. Till the love of her life unexpectedly comes back and with it seduces all her younger emotions, a raging force of a feared hope and resentment.
Together they will learn the true versions of their past and find a happiness that should have always been within their reach.

Bottom line, I loved it! It's a stunning, charming story about love, fate, betrayal, regret and ultimately second chances. I savored every single word. I may still be wary when it come to historical romance but I know now that when ever I'm in the mood for this genre I'll look to Shana Abé's books. I'm convinced that they're all hidden gems just waiting to be discovered.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Swan.

message 1: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Great review Tina! I'm not usually into historical romance but you make me want to read this regardless.

message 2: by ~Tina~ (last edited Sep 18, 2011 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Thanks Giselle! I'm not into historical romance at all lol But Abé makes it too easy:)