Dani's Reviews > Eat This, Not That!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution

Eat This, Not That! by David Zinczenko

Jan 26, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2008

This book is terrible. I read this book during a slow day at the bookstore where I work, and I was disgusted. A book that suggests you can lose weight by making the giant lifestyle decision to eat a Big Mac instead of a Whopper is mostly likely authored by Satan. It also offers genius advice on which entree at Chipotle packs the least calories, as well as the healthiest menu item at TGI Friday's.

Honestly, if you eat fast food everyday, switching from the fillet o'fish to white meat McNuggets is probably the least of your worries. If you thought your cholesterol level was too low on your last doctor's visit, or if you really don't want to live past 50, this is the book for you.

This book is great for anyone who wants to "diet" by not dieting at all. Also great for those who have no desire to shed the extra layer of blubber that keeps us so wonderfully warm and toasty in the winter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat This, Not That!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandy Did you even read the book or did you just look at the pictures? It clearly states that it's not forcing you to make "giant lifestyle decisions." If you eat a dozen donuts a day you're obviously not going to be very receptive the suggestion to replace it with a salad, but you may appreciate the suggestion of more nutritional donuts. That's all this book aims to do - it offers the lesser of two evils.

message 2: by Dani (new) - rated it 1 star

Dani I read it, just like I mentioned. I was pretty much just disgusted that free restaurant calorie information was consolidated and packaged in the "Health & Diet" section with a price tag. I'm sure the book has its audience - morons.

Brandy Obviously you didn't pay very much attention to the material - as is obvious from the fact that you read it while you were working. It doesn't simply "consolidate free restaurant calorie information." You may be referring to the section at the end with nutritional values (NOT just calories) for common foods that are better/worse than their counterparts for you. However, there are sections that go in depth as to WHY certain foods are worse for you and what to generally avoid and what you should add to your diet. Just because you chose to selectively ignore certain information doesn't mean this book was only for morons. I'm surprised you're even complaining given that you were technically being paid to read this since you read it on the job.

message 4: by Dani (new) - rated it 1 star

Dani HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

it seems you are personally offended by my opinion, since you are lobbing personal attacks instead of critiquing the review. Perhaps you misunderstand the subjective nature of a book review.

The cover of the book advertises a "No-Diet Weight Loss Solution." This book is not a solution. This book is not a diet. This book is part of the calorie-counting problem with diets and weight loss obsession in America. Dining out is an indulgence, and a happy one. This book is scam, banking on consumers who want a quick solution rather than knowledge of a basic food pyramid, a healthy portion size, reading food labels, and healthy exercise.

Brandy ... I'm not personally offended by your review at all. I AM personally offended by "I'm sure the book has its audience - morons," which is hardly a subjective statement.

"This book is part of the calorie-counting problem with diets and weight loss obsession in America."

Wrong. Everything you say in defense of you review makes it pretty clear that you didn't actually take the time to read the book, but rather skipped to the back. Several of the options suggested as an alternative actually have HIGHER caloric values, but may offer better nutrition in the way of fiber, calcium, etc. Nowhere in the book does it imply that calorie counting is the way to go.

"This book is scam, banking on consumers who want a quick solution rather than knowledge of a basic food pyramid, a healthy portion size, reading food labels, and healthy exercise."

Wrong again. This book actually ENDORSES learning proper portion sizes and paying attention to labels. For example, it lists what typical Americans think a portion of spaghetti should be and then tells you the actual portion size. It also emphasizes what confusing scientific words mean in nutrition labels and how you should go about reading them.

I'm just saying if you're going to review a book you should probably actually read it, rather than casually perusing through it during some downtime at work. I wasn't making a personal attack.

message 6: by Dani (new) - rated it 1 star

Dani For the last time, I did read it. It's not a very thick book, and I mentioned that in my review.

message 7: by Dani (new) - rated it 1 star

Dani *sigh, shakes head*

Brandy If you actually did read it, then why are you making all these incorrect accusations? I've already refuted your point three times so I don't see why you still think you're in the right when you can't back up anything you're saying. You're just making broad statements and then when I give you examples of how you're wrong, you have nothing to say.

I'm sorry if you're offended or whatever, but honestly it just seems childish that you're acting so immature about it.

message 9: by Dani (new) - rated it 1 star

Dani Oh Brandy. You're using "wrong" as a value judgment. This is a book review site, which means that the reviews are subjective -- based on a personal view.

Also, once again with the personal attacks.

I have no interest in further discussing a year old review with someone who seems a little unhinged. However, I do enjoy discussing books and if you'd like to discuss books (avoiding those pesky - "your review is wrong/mine is right" value judgements), you are free to email me, as I've blocked you on this site.

Elise Wow, how come some people just can't let others "not like" something. I like your responses Dani.