Cole Riann's Reviews > Sort of Stranger than Fiction

Sort of Stranger than Fiction by Josh Lanyon

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: m-m, m-m-series, m-m-short, m-m-contemporary, favorites
Read on October 27, 2011

This is my favorite story by Josh Lanyon so far in the Petit Morts series. While I got caught up in the story and felt like the mystery wrapped up pretty quickly, the real spark in this story is the relationship between naive, small-town book geek and new writer Ethan and quiet, steady and badly scarred Michael, the new resident to Peabody and dojo owner with a real heart of gold. The scene where everything finally comes out in the open between them really showcases how utterly sweet and genuine Josh Lanyon's writing can be. The two of them together just makes me want to smile. Also, a shout out to a really great secondary character who leapt off the page, Ethan's twin sister Erin, who is charmingly upbeat and funny. Well done.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sort of Stranger than Fiction.

Josephine Myles This was my favourite Lanyon story so far in the series too. I wonder what the last one will be like?

Cole Riann Hmm, I don't know but I'm curious. I've still yet to read Critic's Choice, so we'll see how I like that one too. Does he only have one new one in the last batch?

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Oh, this sounds good! Is this a collection of stories that can be read as stand-alones or would I need to read the books before this first?

Cole Riann Um, I'd say that over all they go together, but only because there's a character called Chance in all of them that owns the sweet shop Sweets to the Sweet and sometimes he's plays a large role and sometimes a small one. If you're just going to read this one then it's okay as a standalone I think, but if you read more of them then read them in order. They're all really good though!

Josephine Myles I really enjoyed Critic's Choice, but it wasn't as warm as this one. I'll be interested to see what you think.

And yes, Josh only has the one in the last batch (but I'm sure the addition of Clare will make up for it!)

Cole Riann I'm really excited to read Clare's! And, oh man, I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the last one...