jD's Reviews > The Fire Lord's Lover

The Fire Lord's Lover by Kathryne Kennedy

Dec 25, 10

bookshelves: 2_kindle_own, genre_fantasy, series_fantasy, magic_fae, paranormal-political, romance_magicals
Read from December 22 to 25, 2010

Ms. Kennedy has created a unique world in old England, and I mean medieval times of horses and castles. Seven bored elven lords escape their home on the other side of the veil to come to England. They have divided up the country and now sate their boredom by controlling the king, lords, ladies, and subjects of their region. Each Elven lord has a unique power. They are pure blood elves but mate with human women to produce half-elven children which they use in battle against one another and for general amusement. The story is about the son of the fire lord Mor'ded. His name is Dominic and he is one of the most interesting characters I have read in quite awhile. He is his fathers Champion (General of his army) and to have gained this honor he has had to embrace his uncaring Elven side. His father has punished him harshly for showing human emotions in the past. His father wants to breed another Champion so he will have a spare which leads him to find Dominic a bride. Her name is Casandra, called Cass. She is also part Elven but does not have a full blood parent so no one expects that she has any talent of worth or concern.

Dominic has inherited his fathers ability to create different kinds of fire. Cassandra has been trained as a spy for the Rebellion and has the ability to dance, not just any dance but a long forgotten Elven dance of power. Quite an interesting ability. The story of their wedding and difficult first weeks is endearing...you will go Ahhhhhh so many times in this book. There are secondary characters like the two slave girls Cass takes as her servants. They too have very interesting skills. I absolutely loved these characters and the world they inhabit. I hated to get to the end and it is a long read.

I loved the fact that this story wrapped completely. It's a rare treat for a new series. In future installments Ms. Kennedy will take us to other Elven Lord strongholds and continue to introduce us to those who challenge the rule of the cruel Elves. They are called the Resistence and they are humans who want the Elves out of their world and to stop the Elves from taking all children that show true Elven magical skills. The fate of these children is at the heart of their desperation. There are six more evil Elven lords ruling people in cruelty and bondage. I can't wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Lord's Lover.

12/24/2010
46.0% "This book is sooooo good. Just the right balance of political intrigue, interesting characters, suspense, and naughty bits." 1 comment
12/24/2010
85.0% "I don't want to put it down. I am distressed that the next one does not come out until Aug 2011. This is superb..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ctanner OOOhhh I have this one on my to buy list. I am interested to know what you think.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Me too!

message 3: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD I forgot I had it. I got my 3rd replacement Kindle yesterday and was moving books from my archive and saw it along with a few others I forgot. Since I don't spend more than $5 on an ebook, you might want to grab it on Amazon.

message 4: by new_user (last edited Dec 25, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

new_user Third replacement! LOL. Egads, woman! Well, I guess it's lucky you found this one in the transfer then. What was the heat index, btw? I have my doubts about her in that department...

message 5: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD I know what you mean. The sex was not skimmed over. Not erotica but juicy details and very romantic. The love story would never have worked without deets so she had to go there whether she wanted to or not.

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user Thanks, jD! I'll take a look! :)