Lina's Reviews > Journey to the End of the Night

Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: in-the-stack
Read from May 08 to August 28, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the End of the Night.

Quotes Lina Liked

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“When it becomes really impossible to get away and sleep, then the will to live evaporates of its own accord.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“A woman who spends her time worrying about pregnancy is a virtual cripple, she'll never go very far.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“Love is like liquor, the drunker and more impotent you are, the stronger and smarter you think yourself and the surer you are of your rights.”
tags: 64, love

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“Poor people never, or hardly ever, ask for an explanation of all they have to put up with. They hate one another, and content themselves with that.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“You can lose your way groping among the shadows of the past. It's frightening how many people and things there are in a man's past that have stopped moving. The living people we've lost in the crypts of time sleep so soundly side by side with the dead that the same darkness envelops them all.

As we grow older, we no longer know whom to awaken, the living or the dead.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“There's something sad about people going to bed. You can see they don't give a damn whether they're getting what they want out of life or not, you can see they don't even try to understand what we're here for. They just don't care.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“A man should be resigned to knowing himself a little better each day if he hasn't got the guts to put an end to his sniveling once and for all.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“Philosophizing is simply one way of being afraid, a cowardly pretense that doesn't get you anywhere.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“I crawled back into myself all alone, just delighted to observe that I was even more miserable than before, because I had brought a new kind of distress and something that resembled true feeling into my solitude.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“She was having an attack of knuckleheaded anxiety. Those attacks last a long time.”
tags: 224, rant

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“The mind is satisfied with phrased, but not the body, the body is more fastidious, it wants muscles. A body always tells the truth, that's why it's usually depressing and disgusting to look at.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“When you stay too long in the same place, things and people go to pot on you, they rot and start stinking for your special benefit.”

Louis-Ferdinand Céline
“Why kid ourselves, people have nothing to say to one another, they all talk about their own troubles and nothing else. Each man for himself, the earth for us all. They try to unload their unhappiness on someone else when making love, they do their damnedest, but it doesn't work, they keep it all, and then they start all over again, trying to find a place for it. "Your pretty, Mademoiselle," they say. And life takes hold of them again until the next time, and then they try the same little gimmick. "You're very pretty, Mademoiselle..."

And in between they boast that they've succeeded in getting rid of their unhappiness, but everyone knows it's not true and they've simply kept it all to themselves. Since at the little game you get uglier and more repulsive as you grow older, you can't hope to hide your unhappiness, your bankruptcy, any longer. In the end your features are marked with that hideous grimace that takes twenty, thrity years or more to climb form your belly to your face. That's all a man is good for, that and no more, a grimace that he takes a whole lifetime to compose. The grimace a man would need to express his true soul without losing any of it is so heavy and complicated that he doesn't always succeed in completing it.”

05/08/2011 page 16