Sean's Reviews > The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life

The O'Reilly Factor by Bill O'Reilly

Jan 26, 08

bookshelves: socio-cultural
Read in February, 2003

I read this one on a bit of a dare to myself, to check out something I usually wouldn't get near. You may be able to tell that Mr. O'Reilly isn't really 'my cuppa'.

My father (who likes Bill a *lot* and is a regular Fox News viewer) owns this book and I found it while staying at the folks' place.

It seems to be pretty much what you get on O'Reilly's TV program. He stresses his "working class" Irish-Catholic roots, charts his rise through various network news jobs and of course, tells the reader what's good for America and the children.

Apart from a very few wry observations, I grew tired of Mr. O'Reilly's smug tone after the first few chapters. His act of imitating Clint Eastwood's demeanor while stalking corridors at whatever job he was working at, seemed to ring hollow and cheesy to me. The nadir of the entire book, though, is when he's discussing his nightclubbing adventures in the 70s. The idea of that actually made me shudder--though I suppose I did get a humorous image of B.O'R. with medallions and a white disco suit, permed hair and a Tom Selleck 'tache lounge-lizarding around his local disco.

Maybe I could rate it two stars just for that...or 1 and a half.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The O'Reilly Factor.