Larissa's Reviews > White Witch, Black Curse

Dec 22, 10

Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

SERIES REVIEW:

*contains MINOR series spoilers

I LOVE This series! Kim Harrison has created such an amazing and rich world, that is extremely easy to get lost into. Not to mention the characters that you can’t help but fall in love with.

Rachel Morgan is a witch working as a runner, bounty hunter, for the I.S. {Inderland Services} in a world after the turn. The turn was when a breakout killed 2 thirds of the human race, all because of tomatoes. The Inderlanders, supernatural races, were imune and after the breakout they were also the majority. That’s when they decided to come out of the closet.

Rachel is tired of doing menial jobs for the I.S., so along with her back up, the Pixie Jenks and the living Vamp Ivy, she quits her job and starts a private runner business. The thing is that the I.S. is not taking Rachel’s quitting lightly, specially since she has taken one of their best runners with her, and now they are trying to get to permanently retire, into the grave.

Rachel Morgan is a kick-ass heroine, one of the best out there and her adventures are so much fun! Throughout the novels we get to meet an awesome cast of secondary characters that you can’t help but love… Kisten, Matalina, Pierce, Trent, Quen, Ceri and so many more… Each book in the series is full of all-out action balanced out with a great sense of humor that has me laughing out loud many times.

Rachel is one of my favorite heroines ever and amongst the reasons I love her so much is that she is willing to over look the lines drawn by human and supernatural society and do what has to be done to keep her loved ones and herself alive, without ever crossing the lines of the own morals and without hurting anyone on purpose.

I think my biggest biff with the series however, was the death of one of my favorite characters ever about halfway through the series and I am still trying to cope with it. I do enjoy Rachel and Ivy’s sexual tension, which is something I had never seen in an Urban Fantasy novel before and it does bring something new to the table, despite the fact that their “will they – won’t they” tension can get on your nerves sometimes.

All in all, The Hollows is Urban Fantasy at its best and is a must read to any one that consider him/herself a fan of genre. If you haven’t read it yet, get to it! If you have, you know what I’m talking about =D
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Witch, Black Curse.