Printable Tire's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country

The Sandman, Vol. 3 by Neil Gaiman

Dec 22, 2010

liked it

The first story was ok and I liked the last one but the middle two were too shamelessly indulgent nerdscapes of fantasy for me. I have a phobia against serious talking animal stories, especially ones in which humans are characterized as ignorant/evil, and I also dislike stories where historical figures are used as cypher-pawns to spruce up a story. These two stories stink of too much pixie dust and fey faeries and rainbows and unicorns for my temperament this evening (I like them even less now as I rewrite this damned review after my computer crashing) and rekindle memories of angsty mall goths and the sheltered, haughty rooms of pagan librarians of my youth. What came of those self-indulgent dreamers who put a pox on the football-watching public and mutter the lyrics to Cats in their sleep? Ah yes, they are even more commercial and less imaginative now, bound by Harry Potter and cocooned in World of Warcraft and the like. Or something.

Anyway. The first story is a predictable but fun Muse story (I have a phobia against stories involving muses but nevermind) and I like it more thanks to the inclusion of the script for the story in the back of the book, which was fun and enlightening to read. The last story was a sad one, ingeniously using what has always been the freakish complexion of Metamorpho to arouse our pathos. The ending was somewhat confusing (deliberate?) but Death walks away still a babe. The End.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 3.

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Powers I LIKE the Midsummer Night's Dream story, but whatever. I don't like the Cats story-blech. Also,I am sort of disturbed by the female cat referring to a big Tom as her "lover." (Although that cat looks like you, Patrick!)
There are certain Death panels that I used to stare at for a really long time as a 12 year old. I am pretty sure one panel is just a copy of a Siouxsie Sioux photo.

Printable Tire Well, this collection was pretty good and maybe I was just projecting my own bleh feelings with that review. It was fun reading the cat story with Simi on my lap. It was also interesting to read how Neil Gaiman considers the placement of advertisements in his scripts.