Tracey's Reviews > Spellwright

Spellwright by Blake Charlton

Dec 28, 10

Read from December 22 to 27, 2010

I was very disappointed with this book. The premise had great potential - I always look forward to books that branch out to new ways of handling magic. However, it seemed to me like the author did not fully consider how his magic system would work. It alternated between being just another version of old role-playing style spell casting and being almost an analog to coding (ala Wizard's Bane).

The plot line was interesting, and the world intriguing, but the characters were never fully fleshed out. I found this very strange, since the book was long enough to allow for it, and the author spent time in each of the main character's point of view. Unfortunately, this lead to a very cold and distant story, as the character's motivations never made sense, and when they would change their mind on something it was without any real thought and, most often, was conveyed by the character actually speaking the change.

Overall, it was an interesting and fast paced story, and the faults didn't annoy so much as disappoint. This was definitely what I would call a light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellwright.