Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > The Shadow of the Lion

1973239
Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, historical
I own a copy

I read this years ago in Baen's free library and quite liked it, but the series was never finished. Now that a third (or fourth, depending on how you're counting) book has come out, I picked it up again.

I don't know Dave Freer's work at all, but I can say this book - and series, really - is exactly what you'd expect from Lackey and Flint working together. Complex plotting, lots of military and history tidbits for their own sake, and many, many viewpoints from Flint, and straightforward, likable, if not tremendously deep or original characters and prose from Lackey. (While "the whore with a heart of gold" is done often, it's seldom done better than here - Francesca is probably my favorite character in these books.)

The book's biggest flaw is the pacing. The worldbuilding and plotting is painstakingly done, but it takes pages and pages and pages, and I'm not sure a mad editor with a hatchet wouldn't have improved the tale. But, you know, it's Eric Flint - anyone who's encountered his work should be expecting it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Lion.