Christine's Reviews > The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind

Apr 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, christian, history
Recommended to Christine by: Grant
Read in April, 2009

This book is a must read for anyone interested in loving God with his or her mind. Mark Noll examines the intellectual history of evangelicalism in the United States, and the strands in evangelical thinking that have led to the scandal of the evangelical mind.

I enjoyed learning about the intellectual life of Jonathan Edwards, and understanding the profound effect that the Enlightenment had on evangelical thought. I found the chapters on politics and science to be especially helpful.

This is also a challenge to look at the assumptions that underlie evangelicalism; but it is also a call to stop and reflect on the world around us through particularly Christian eyes. There are still many issues today that require a deep and measured Christian response. Immigration, the environment, capitalism, and the arts are just a few of the areas in which deep Christian reflection, rather tnan hasty activism, is required.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind.