Scarlett's Reviews > The Body at the Tower

Mar 31, 11

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from December 22, 2010 to March 31, 2011

Originally posted on my blog here.

I actually checked this book out quite a while ago but didn’t end up reading more than a few pages because it didn’t seem like James was coming back (the love interest from the first book). A couple of weeks later I had the bright idea to quickly page through the book and look for his name. I’m pleased to say that I found it at least once and that was good enough news for me that he would be back and so I commenced reading.

Mary is a likable character. I’m able to relate to her, not as well as some characters, but well enough to want to continue reading. This story didn’t give enough away to truly be compelling in the mystery department. It was trying to be clever and complex, but wasn’t. I could pretty much guess what was going to happen but it took until the last 10 pages to get to it specifically.

I'll admit that there are some issues that Mary needs to deal with, especially concerning her ancestry, but also in respect to coming to terms with how to deal with her relationship with James and working for the agency. She did not end it well. Actually, I’m a littler perturbed that she keeps trying to push James away after they are BOTH obviously attracted to each other. Yes, her confession of some things towards the end threw him for a loop, but he better be back again in the next book. Without him the book lacks depth (plus, I kind of get bored with books that don’t have a least a small element of a love story in them....am I the one lacking depth?...).

Overall, decent enough, but not my most favorite book in the world. I am willing to continue the series though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body at the Tower.