Ann Douglas's Reviews > Trash

Trash by Dorothy Allison

Dec 22, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, writing, read-in-2011
Read from January 19 to 27, 2011

This collection of short stories by Dorothy Allison is as much a book about writing as it is a book of powerfully written short stories. The book's introduction explains how the author found her voice as a writer and what she has learned about writing and herself since this book was first published. The stories themselves are beautifully written and demonstrate tremendous insights into human relationships.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book. (Each quote has been added to the GoodReads quotes database.)

"Before I published any of my own stories, I read a great many stories by people as passionate about writing as I was, and I learned something from everyone I read -- something most important what I should not try to write." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"I did not begin with craft, I began with strong feelings and worked toward craft." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"Why write stories? To join the conversation." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"I did not imagine anyone reading my rambling, ranting stories. I was writing for myself, trying to shape my life outside my terrors and helplessness, to make it visible and real in a tangible way, in the way other people's seemed real -- the lives I had read about in books." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"I did things I did not understand for reasons I could not begin to explain just to be in motion, to be trying to do something, change something in a world I wanted desperately to make over but could not imagine for myself." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"When my mama was twenty-five she already had an old woman's hands, and I feared them. I did not know then what it was that scared me so. I've come to understand since that it was the thought of her growing old, of her dying and leaving me alone. I feared those brown spots, those wrinkles and cracks that lined her wrists, ankles, and the soft shadowed sides of her eyes." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"Piece by piece, my mother is being stolen from me." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)

"Twenty years after we had left so fierce and proud, we were all right back where we had started, yoked to each other and the same old drama." — Dorothy Allison (Trash)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trash.

Quotes Ann Liked

Dorothy Allison
“Before I published any of my own stories, I read a great many stories by people as passionate about writing as I was, and I learned something from everyone I read -- something most important what I should not try to write.”

Dorothy Allison
“I did not begin with craft, I began with strong feelings and worked toward craft.”

Dorothy Allison
“Why write stories? To join the conversation.”

Dorothy Allison
“I did not imagine anyone reading my rambling, ranting stories. I was writing for myself, trying to shape my life outside my terrors and helplessness, to make it visible and real in a tangible way, in the way other people's seemed real -- the lives I had read about in books.”

Dorothy Allison
“I did things I did not understand for reasons I could not begin to explain just to be in motion, to be trying to do something, change something in a world I wanted desperately to make over but could not imagine for myself.”

Dorothy Allison
“When my mama was twenty-five she already had an old woman's hands, and I feared them. I did not know then what it was that scared me so. I've come to understand since that it was the thought of her growing old, of her dying and leaving me alone. I feared those brown spots, those wrinkles and cracks that lined her wrists, ankles, and the soft shadowed sides of her eyes.”

Dorothy Allison
“Piece by piece, my mother is being stolen from me.”

Dorothy Allison
“Twenty years after we had left so fierce and proud, we were all right back where we had started, yoked to each other and the same old drama.”
Dorothy Allison, Trash: Stories

01/20/2011 "The writing is incredible. I am so happy that my e-reader allows me to highlight. I am highlighting something at least every few pages. Will post some of my favorite quotes when I'm back home (and near my e-reader). I don't dare bring it to work." 4 comments
01/23/2011 "I'm about halfway through and continuing to savour every story. Can't wait to review this one."