Jen Bigheart (I Read Banned Books)'s Reviews > The Anti-Prom

Dec 30, 2010

liked it
Read from December 22 to 27, 2010

4 stars

Bliss, Jolene, and Meg aren't exactly BFFs. In fact, they don't know anything about each other at all. Well, maybe a few things, but those are mostly rumors. It's prom night and for Bliss, the social event of the year! Everything is going according to plan until Bliss stumbles upon her boyfriend making out with her so-called best friend Kaitlin in the back of a limo. Making out is putting it mildly. The two are going at it like it's the end of the world! Bliss is devasted, but quickly seeks revenge. Insert Jolene the rebel, the bad girl, the...outcast. Jolene is only at the prom in order to make fun of the spectacle, but deep down, she is disappointed her "date" didn't show. As Jolene is sulking in the storage closet, Bliss stumbles in with sly smile and even more sly plan. Because Jolene doesn't have any others plans and is always up for an adventure, she agrees to help Bliss get her revenge on her boyfriend and Kaitlin. Insert Meg. Well, more like insert Meg's car. As Bliss and Jolene race to the parking lot and head to Kaitlin's house to steal her journal, they almost get run over by Meg. Meg has had a disappointing night as well. Her date canceled at the last second and she is humiliated. It doesn't take long for Jolene and Bliss to coax Meg into joining their mission of revenge. Meg is the wallflower of school. Very forgettable, if you remembered her at all. Meg is looking to finish school and move on with her life - if she can find it. Things are going according to Bliss's plan - they have Kaitlin's journal with her darkest secrets; secrets that would destroy her socially. As they make their way all over town trying to bring down Bliss's boyfriend and friend with the help of the journal, Jolene opens up about her non existent relationship with her disappearing father, and Meg realizes that being the quiet one was her choice. Bliss? Bliss thinks maybe revenge wasn't what she needed after all. Maybe Bliss needs a new set of friends.

Anti-Prom is a fun and fast read. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. The characters are developed and vary widely. I was looking for the cliche popular girl junk, but there was something more waiting. Bliss has a giving heart, she just hasn't an opportunity to be...nice. Jolene is rough and crass. I really enjoyed her story and the way she blossomed through out the story. Meg was a little quiet for me. I think of the Family Guy character when I say her name. Meg is the forgettable one in the story and for me. I would have liked to see a tad more from her and her story. I think Jolene's willingness to help Bliss was a little rushed. Bliss and Jolene are on polar opposite sides of the social spectrum. It seemed a little too easy when Jolene agreed to Bliss's plan. Things get wrapped up in a neat and tidy bow at the end, but not without a lot of self discovery!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anti-Prom.

12/24/2010 page 91