Bernard Doddema Jr's Reviews > The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar

Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: thriller, historical-fiction
Recommended to Bernard by: Barbara Wickel
Read from December 20 to 23, 2010

Our bishop's wife thought I would like this book since I'm a reader. Normally I would agree. In fact, I would be ecstatic about reading a new book especially one featuring the Romanov family.

As a teenager, I was fascinated by the ghastly history of the last Tsar of Russia and his family who were murdered by the Commies. The intrigue of the possibility of a living Romanov against all the odds was exciting! Regardless how they ruled, it was a horrendous way to die.

I read this book based on that fascination. It was okay. It wasn't as riveting as other reviewers mentioned, it didn't shock me with a "surprise" ending. Maybe I was expecting it. Maybe I'm in an emotional melt-down with the details of their deaths. Imagine if this happened to the British royal family and yet in a way it did as the Russian royal family was related to the Queen of England.

Read the book if you must to satisfy your curiosity or have an interest in Russian history. Please remember it is fiction although it is told in the first person.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Boy.