Sarah (YA Love)'s Reviews > The Book of Tomorrow

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, ya-crossover, supernatural
Read from January 06 to 12, 2011

It’s been a while since I’ve read a YA crossover, so I was pretty excited when I was contacted and asked if I’d like to read and review this book. If you’re unfamiliar with the term “crossover”, it’s referring to a book that isn’t published as YA, but the main character fits in the YA genre (age between 12-18). I’ve never read any of Cecelia Ahern’s books (I have a feeling people are gasping right now), but I’m happy The Book of Tomorrow was my first.

The summary describes Tamara as being spoiled and tempestuous, and I’m sure readers will agree with this and maybe not even like her. Call me crazy, but I liked Tamara. Yes, she’s definitely snotty and needs to learn how to use her “filter”, but her vulnerable side hidden beneath the rude comments won me over. Her father just tragically died, and she’s been uprooted from everything she knows. To top it off, she’s living in the middle of nowhere with a really odd aunt, an awfully quiet uncle, and a mother who’s completely clammed up. Tamara deserves a little slack, even if some of her comments did make me cringe. Her softer side often shows up when she’s talking to Sister Ignacious and when she’s reading the journal. Sister Ignacious is one of my favorite characters because she never seems shocked or upset by Tamara and her attitude; she takes everything in stride. She’s an anchor for Tamara when life becomes even more confusing and stressful.

I plan on reading more of Cecelia’s books because I’m really impressed with her writing and the voice she creates. I’ve never been to Ireland, but her description of the grounds and the setting as a whole was so easy to visualize. When I was reading, I was completely sucked into the story, much like I’m sure Tamara was sucked in when she read her future journal entries. The dialogue between characters flowed with ease, which gave me a clear picture of what was going on. And I also appreciate that Cecelia used her foreshadowing sparingly. I was definitely making predictions (some were even right!), but I never felt like any of it was too predictable. I do wish, though, that more journal entries would have been included. They add so much intrigue because not all of the day’s details are included; Tamara still needs to figure out how some of the events unfolded.

Overall, this is a fun read and one that I definitely recommend. I was able to read a big chunk of this at school during SSR, and because of the very pretty cover, many of my girls asked about it. I already have a couple girls lined up waiting to read it :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Tomorrow.

01/08/2011 page 75