Nancy Wright's Reviews > Murder at Spouters Point: A Miranda Lewis Mystery

Murder at Spouters Point by Leslie Wheeler

Dec 22, 10

Read in December, 2010

As a Vermonter passionate about history, and in particular, the long journey-quest of the local Abenaki people to gain respect and official recognition in our state, I've found myself wholly captivated by Leslie Wheeler's Murder at Spouter's Point. Amateur sleuth historian Miranda, a favorite of mine through two other "living history" mysteries is once again her feisty, wholly engaging self. Yet it's her outspoken, volatile lover, Native Amderican Nate Barnes, who pulls me most intensely into the story. I can't help but admire his passion for his people, his culture, and his stubborn loyalty to his tribal friend Jimmy, a victim of bias who flees after becoming prime suspect for the death of a young woman's fiance. Together, Miranda and Nate combat superstition, deep-seated angers and prejudice in their resolve to discover the truth behind the killing. Through superb storytelling and characterization, along with a fascinating lesson in Native American and whaling lore (don't miss those delightul epigraphs from Moby Dick and a variety of sea chanty songs), Wheeler whips the ship of fiction into a heart-pumping climax. This beautifully researched novel has everything: an evocative history, suspenseful mystery, great characters--even a splash of romance. As reader, my only mistake was to take the book to bed with me--turning away sleep until the last thrilling page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at Spouters Point.