Pedro's Reviews > The C Programming Language

Dec 22, 2010

bookshelves: unrec
Recommended for: People learning C
I own a copy

Great book as a reference for C.

If you already know how to program and want to learn C, this is the book. But you must do the exercises: don't read the book; work the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The C Programming Language.

02/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Elly (new) - added it

Elly I don't know any programming at all, is this a good book to start with? thanks.

Michael Wais Elly, start with "Programming Logic & Design" by Joyce Farrell. It'll walk you through some of the best practices for writing code and some of the introductory principles for outlining good pseudocode/flowcharts to start with. Also, a great language for a beginner who doesn't know anything about programming at all is Microsoft's BASIC language. (Look for it under the topics "BASIC"/"VisualBASIC"/"VB".) I started with a little Basic when I took a programming class in '99 or 2000, and it's a really easy and straightforward language to learn. Also some of the "For Dummies" books that cover the different offshoots of C, like C# or Objective-C or C+, are good books to start with. (Don't let the title turn you off to them. The "For Dummies" books are written with as little technical jargon as possible in order to help the layperson.) Hope that I've been a good help, Elly. :)