Emily May's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: dystopia-utopia, young-adult, 2011, fave-ya
Read from January 03 to 08, 2011

I'm always hesitant when it comes to reading books categorised as for 'children', but this is one of those books that is so important, clever and gripping it does not deserve to be limited by calling it merely a 'children's' book.

I'm finding it difficult to put into words just how much I loved this novel, I could not put it down. It makes you think, makes you laugh, makes you cry... this really is a literary triumph. It should be compulsory reading for everyone.

It tells the story of Todd, the last boy in Prentisstown, who will become a man on his 13th birthday. Prentisstown, though, is unlike any you'll have ever come across, because everyone can hear each other's thoughts, which they call 'noise'. In a town like that, you'd think keeping a secret to be the least possible thing.

But we soon find out that noise can lie and that Prentisstown has some very dark secrets. What really happened to the women of Prentisstown? What lies on the other side of the swamp? And why is it so important that Todd, just one boy, reaches his birthday and becomes a man? This is a fast-paced, gripping tale of the adventure of growing up and the difficult decisions we face along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

01/03/2011 page 57
01/07/2011 page 237
49.0% "bloody awesome!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sophie A childs book? It's categorized as Young Adult for a reason. And not as Childrens. Young adult books can be as deep and meaningful as adult books and if not deeper. I might suggest to try and open your reading to young adult because it may surprise you what adventures and journeys you can find in them.

Emily May Actually, YA is my most read genre. This book, however, is often shelved as "childrens" or "middle grade" and is in the 8-12 section at my local library, therefore not YA.

message 3: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Awesome review

Michelle I'm so surprised your library puts it in Children's! I would (and have) only recommend to my most mature 7th graders.

And, ugh, I hate to call other posters out, but Sophie is obviously not familiar with your reviews and did not comprehend your first paragraph.

message 5: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia I've never seen this shelved as children's...it was shelved at YA at my library, which isn't always correct, but this one is so violent...