Aubrey's Reviews > Fever Pitch

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, sports, football
Recommended for: Anyone struggling to come to grips with a fanatical obsession (especially when it relates to sports)
Read from December 20 to 23, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Short Story: Fever Pitch is an elegantly crafted memoir as an individual tries, and fails, to find the way that sport describes the ups and downs of life.

Story: At no point in this memoir do you doubt Nick Hornby's love for Arsenal or football in general. It shines through much of the way an individual's personality or temperament does. His fanaticism makes the memoir easy to relate and understand, as the reader is able to substitute in their own teams or obsessions that grip them. As a sports fan, the memoir was almost a reflection of the thoughts I have also shared.

The best parts of the book are when Nick Hornby attempt to use football as a metaphor for his life. When invest so much time and thought into our teams and obsessions its not unusual for us to see a winning streak as a prophecy of good things to come. For Hornby, this metaphor continually broke down, leading to a particularly poignant revelation as why this is so:
Sport and life, especially the arty life, are not exactly analogous. One of the great things about sport is its cruel clarity: there is no such thing, for example, as a bad one-hundred-metre runner, or a hopeless centre-half who got lucky; in sport, you get found out.

As for the writing, the memoir takes a bit of time to get rolling. The book is roughly divided into three sections corresponding with phases of his life: childhood to teenage years, young adult to twenty-something, and maturing adult. It isn't until he reaches his post-university years where I started to feel a connection with the book; however, that could do more with my current standing in life than Hornby's writing ability.

Overall, I say anyone that can relate to the passion of sport, or any obsession, should consider picking up Fever Pitch. Further, those looking for a way to understand or relate to their fanatical partners may also find understanding and joy in the memoir.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Pitch.

Quotes Aubrey Liked

Nick Hornby
“I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it.”
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch

Nick Hornby
“For alarmingly large chunks of an average day, I am a moron.”
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch