Pamela's Reviews > The Inheritance of Loss

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

Jan 26, 08

Read in January, 2008

I heard about this book when it came out in 2006. It got rave reviews from NY Times and other places. Since I am always interested in books written by authors of color (especially women of color) I was very excited to read it when I finally got it from the LA Library. However, I lost interest in the main story about halfway through the book(young girl named Sai, falling in love with her tutor, Gyan, while living with her grandfather & his cook during the backdrop of the Nepali Indian movement - see review: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/boo...). I was actually more interested in the subplot (cook's son adventures as an illegal immigrant in NYC). Eventually, I gave up even though I loved the author's writing style and use of language. So I decided to give it another try, but again, did not like it as much as I thought I would. I liked some of the issues that the author tackles - illegal immigration, multiculturalism, the long-term effects of colonialism on the identity of Indians (IMO very similar to the legacy of slavery and the black middle class) - and definitely loved her use of language - but I often found myself getting overwhelmed by the detail and losing focus. Maybe someone else has a different take on the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inheritance of Loss.