Steph's Reviews > The Good Fairies of New York. by Martin Millar

2142019
Feb 09, 11

bookshelves: year-read-2011, author-유, stand-alone
Read from January 20 to 21, 2011

The Good Fairies of New York was chosen for a challenge. It fit the bill (date published) and was available at the library, so I thought I'd give it a go. This is first, only book I've read so far by Martin Millar.

The world he created was full of dark, twisted humour and fairies. The novel starts out with two drunk, tripping thistle fairies flying into the apartment window of Dinnie, “an overweight enemy of humanity.” They proceed to vomit on his floor. Then, you have a character with a colostomy bag. Not something you typically find in your UF books.

The two Scottish fairies, Heather and Morag, are on a quest to find a way back home to Scotland. But, they eventually get involved with the
events that occur around the city and the people that live there. They are determined to help Dinnie be a better violin player. They also begin to help him become a better human being so he can win the heart of Kerry. A sufferer of Crohn's Diease and a collector or rare flowers, she spends much of her time searching for rare flowers to complete her flower alphabet.

I don't know if I would've found, or chosen this book, had it not been for the challenge. But, it was a decent read and had it's good and bad moments throughout the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Fairies of New York. by Martin Millar.

01/20/2011
8.0% "Ah, just what the book doctor ordered. Something light and humourous. :)"
01/20/2011
13.0% "Goth, fiddle playing fairies who eat shrooms and drink beer and a chick with a colostomy bag. LMAO! Definitely not something you come across often."
01/21/2011
100.0% "An odd, but entertaining read"
show 1 hidden update…