David's Reviews > Big Nate: In a Class by Himself

M 50x66
Dec 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: kids-fiction

Nate knows he's meant for big things. REALLY big things. But life doesn't always go your way just because you're awesome. Trouble always seems to find him, but Nate keeps his cool no matter what. He knows he's great. A fortune cookie told him so. (Goodreads summary)

Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate (Novels) #1) by Lincoln Peirce will be enjoyed by fans of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It is similar, although Peirce has been writing the Big Nate comic for many years. While I think many kids, especially boys, and reluctant readers, will enjoy the book, it annoyed me as an adult on several levels. Big Nate seems too be over- confident and self absorbed. If he were a real kid, I suspect his report card would have "fails to concentrate", "class clown," "doesn't live up to his potential," and "disrespectful" written all over it. His attitude toward his teachers is obnoxious - thank goodness he's fictional! Note - I'm not a big fan of Pippi Longstocking as a student either.

The best part of this book are the excellent, affecting drawings. For grades 3-5, reluctant readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Nate.