Ns's Reviews > The Whisper

The Whisper by Carla Neggers

Dec 21, 10

Read in December, 2010

Most of Carla Neggers' novels are great stand-alones, even when they belong to a particular series. They can be read out of order and are just as enjoyable. Realizing this I didn't mind delving into The Whisper and within a few short pages began to regret that decision. If you haven't read earlier novels from the FBI/BPD series, in which this novel belongs to, much is given away. If you haven't read the previous novels, I would highly suggest doing so.

Although, discouraged I was still intent on enjoying the novel. As a mystery, the novel makes for superb reading, but as anything more, it was an okay read. Unlike her other novels, the romance was very limited and felt contrived. It wasn't so much that there was chemistry lacking between archaeologist Sophie Malone and Boston detective Scoop Wisdom, but that their relationship never fully developed. Rather, it was simply a prop. Even minus their "relationship", the mystery would have read just fine as two partners solving a mystery, than lovers in the making.

Another thing that was distracting was that the story itself felt like two separate stories, one based in the United States and another in Ireland. The two pieces never blended and came together. One redeeming quality is definitely the picturesque descriptions of Ireland. The beauty of the land and the richness of the culture and history really came through in the writing. I enjoyed learning and envisioning the country, even if the story wasn't quite as appealing.

That being said, and this being a novel by Carla Neggers it was still good but compared to her other works, it does leave me yearning for more.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whisper.