Molly's Reviews > The Colorado Kid

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: audio
Read in December, 2010

For an audio book with two bookish trips to the Cities planned before the end of the holidays (one to book club and the other to a book launch dinner for my chapbook), four discs was the only criteria. And I had just finished reading On Writing, mentioning how King would make a good audio companion to me in my sojourns, but apparently this was not the one, partly because the narration is a frame tale and thus, the reader took on an elderly Maine-coast accent, which was often indecipherable and frequently difficult to pay attention to. This is not, however why the book would get two stars--that wouldn't be fair to the author or the book. Perhaps if the book were framed differently--not as a hard-boiled detective novel, but one that involves the delicacy and intricacies of research in humane newspaper stories--then the reading (listening) experience would have been different, the expectations shifted. If I think of it as the kindness of two greatly-older newspapermen having a conversation with one fresh from college, learning the ropes in a small town kind of way, then I appreciate the story. But with that "Hard Case Crime" label and knowing the author's reputation of fairly formulaic escape novels, I was disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colorado Kid.