Catherine's Reviews > Immortal in Death

Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb

Dec 21, 2010

bookshelves: bad-childhood, class-difference, crime-police-mystery-private-invest, futuristic, ptsd, read-2011, rape-abuse, romance, scottish-irish-celtic, serial-killer, series, audiobook
Read on October 16, 2011 — I own a copy

*sigh* I found out Eve’s answer. How awesome for them both. I’m glad Robb skipped ahead in time again and took us closer to the big day. I loved watching Eve and Roarke’s nerves. Of course, neither of them was worried for the same reasons. Eve worried about making it work long term and Roarke worried about Eve going through with it. LOL.

Eve’s team is expanded beyond the usual people—namely, Feeney. Eve pulls in Peabody, a cop she took a shine to in the last book, and finds herself stuck having to cooperate with a cop from another department. Although Eve has dealt with Roarke being involved in her two previous cases (that we’ve seen, I mean), she suddenly finds herself faced with Mavis’s involvement. We see a very stressed and vulnerable Eve here as she struggles to juggle doing her job with protecting her friend.

I loved getting to see more of Mavis here. She’s loud and flamboyant, but she loves Eve to pieces. It may be an unlikely pairing on the surface, but they have a very strong bond. I think Mavis being involved hurt Eve more than Roarke being involved in the past because Mavis is more easily bruised than he is. She thinks of Roarke as stronger and knows he can stand of his own. With Mavis, Eve is furious to find herself forced to hurt her and scare her as she does her job.

It was pretty awesome to finally have a clear picture of what led to Eve being found when she was a child. The flashbacks were disturbing and hard to read. Just as with the murders we’ve seen so far, Robb pulls no punches with the truth of Eve’s situation. We are faced with the grim and horrifying truth up close and personal. There is no way I could have remained unaffected. I’m glad she shared with Roarke, but I was ready to strangle her there for a while. I know what led her to say the things she did about their future together, but I felt that she needlessly (and thoughtlessly) wounded Roarke. I’m glad Dr. Mira was able to help them both through that situation.

Speaking of that situation, it showed me another side of Summerset. I have disliked him pretty consistently til now, but he finally softened me. How can I not thaw just a little bit after hearing about his past with Roarke and seeing the way he cared for Eve when she had a nightmare? He’s still a jerk, but now that I’ve seen his marshmallow heart I don’t think I can hate him.

There were quite a few amusing scenes in this book. Eve is forced out of her comfort zone to help cheer Mavis up and to prep for the big day. She’s stuck getting her hair cut, getting naked in front of multiple people for vanity’s sake, and is forced to endure someone rubbing crap on her boobs too. ;) I’m sure you know how well that went over. Mavis and her crew are hilarious simply by being them—over the top, wonderful them. But the part that I really loved was toward the end when Mira, Peabody, Nadine, and Mavis all got together with Eve and got drunk. Peabody in particular was amusing.

I found parts of this slower than the previous two. I loved all the personal stuff, but some of the case work felt a little tedious. That slight slowness is really the only thing that dropped the grade. I just had a hard time getting into parts of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal in Death.

02/24/2016 marked as: read

Mrs. Badass Wait till you get a few more books in...I think it's witness in death where you meet Webster :snickers:
It's around there anyways witness, vengeance, loyalty..bla bla bla. I so love Peabody. She is simply awesome.

message 2: by Jen (last edited Oct 17, 2011 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I still hate Summerset. He is such a prig. Vengence in Death (book 6) is about him and he did not endear himself to me. The bachelorette party was hysterical.

Slow down! I just started 8 this morning. You are catching up to me too fast!

I didn't know that there were .5 books also. Like 2.5, 3.5 and so on. I listened to Midnight in Death (7.5) yesterday. I don't think are important to the overall story but 7.5 had something I wanted to know about.

Catherine Erika of wrote: "Wait till you get a few more books in...I think it's witness in death where you meet Webster :snickers:

Webster, eh? I'll keep an eye out. Yes, Peabody is pretty great.

Catherine Jen wrote: "I still hate Summerset. He is such a prig. Vengence in Death (book 6) is about him and he did not endear himself to me. The bachelorette party was hysterical.

Slow down! I just started 8 thi..."

LOL. I'm going to take a little break, read a few other books, and then jump back into this series. That way I don't overload on it. ;) I'm back in the groove, though. It's amazing how much having a big TBR can get in the way of reading books your really want to. I had forgotten how eager I was to dive into this series.

I'm not much for in between books, so I doubt I'll seek them out. Unless you find one you think is necessary. ;)

message 5: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A Glad you are liking this series, Catherine! Peabody is great. Wait til you meet McNab. It gets interesting in the Peabody/Eve relationship then! Ha ha

Catherine Lynsey A wrote: "Glad you are liking this series, Catherine! Peabody is great. Wait til you meet McNab. It gets interesting in the Peabody/Eve relationship then! Ha ha"

Oh really? Now I'm intrigued.

message 7: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Erika wrote: "Wait till you get a few more books in...I think it's witness in death where you meet Webster :snickers:

Webster first appearance at Conspiracy in Death :).
I hope you will still read In Death, Catherine. So jealous for you all who listen to audio version.

Catherine Ren wrote: "Webster first appearance at Conspiracy in Death :).
"

Do they not have audio rights for Indonesia?

Mrs. Badass Oh I know he first comes in Conspiracy, but you know what scene I am referring to Ren...*wink Wink*

message 10: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Catherine : No.But hope in the future they will do that =). Its so hard to me to understand the story from listening the audio version rather than read the book, but I want to know how Roarke's voice sound alike!

Erika : Yeah, I know, LOL!

Aly is so frigging bored Hei Cathrine, love the review. Can you dish some spoilers? Who killed the model?

Catherine Aly (Lothaire) Daciano wrote: "Hei Cathrine, love the review. Can you dish some spoilers? Who killed the model?"

Hi! Sorry for the lateness of my reply. Are you sure you really want to know? You might regret it... (view spoiler)

Aly is so frigging bored Really?! I suspected him a little but didn't want to believe it! Thanks :D I can't wait to see how come he did it.

PS: Always love spoilers, no exception :D