Reading Teen's Reviews > The Demon King

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

Feb 21, 2015

bookshelves: favorite-fantasy, great-on-audio, young-adult, all-time-favorites

Okay, this book was pretty much a 500 page prologue, not a lot of action, pretty much just setting up the main story line. And, surprisingly, it wasn't boring at all. I hung onto every word and couldn't stop reading. Great character development. And the story that it is setting up will be a very good one. The dialogue was written greatly, it kinda made up for the lack of fighting scenes. They talk a lot about the history of their world. And there was a lot of action then. Honestly, Cinda Chima needs to write a prequel of this book that is set during the war that took place all of those years ago. That would be an interesting book.

There was a bit more romance in this book then is preferable to me. This Princess Raisa girl has like seventeen boyfriends and can't seem to make up her mind between which she likes most. The whole book book pretty much leads up to her name day. That's the birthday where she becomes old enough to get married. And everybody is pressuring her to make a good choice in who she marries and pretty much the two boys she likes most are forbidden for her to marry. I will never understand the logic of girls.

The other main character, Han "Cuffs" Alistar, is kinda the opposite of Raisa, and no, not just by gender. While Raisa is Princess, heir to the throne, Han is nearly homeless, trying and very close to failing to support his mother and little sister. And he is constantly in danger of the bluejackets, police of the Seven Realms, because of his former life as a gangster. He really reminded me of Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean, Jack Sparrow. To everyone else he is smooth, witty, not the smartest guy but clearly can take care of himself. He is used to getting out of bad situations. But when there is a chapter that is written from his point of view you can really tell he has no idea what he is doing, making things up as he goes. It's pretty funny to see these transitions.

This book was very well written and sets up what will be a great novel in the sequal, The Exiled Queen. I will be reading it as soon as I can and am very excited. It will be a great book. I just hope it'll be worth all of the setting up.

Austin http://www.readingteen.net/2011/01/bo...
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon King.

message 1: by Natalia (new) - added it

Natalia I love it how you said "I will never understand the logic of girls." That made me laugh! I will definitely be reading this book soon...there are just so many that I want to read soon...

G.C. Nash Now I can't stop imagining Hans as Jack. "I Got A JAR'O'DI-IRT *I GOT A MAGIC AMULET!*"

Reading Teen Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Now I can't stop imagining Hans as Jack. "I Got A JAR'O'DI-IRT *I GOT A MAGIC AMULET!*""

Yeah, that was Austin's review a few years ago. I have no idea what he was talking about :P hahaha

message 4: by G.C. Nash (last edited Feb 19, 2015 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

G.C. Nash Ah, the comments about Raisa make sense now lol. But I do like Austin's take on Hans.

Reading Teen Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Ah, the comments about Raisa make sense now lol. But I do like Austin's take on Hans."

HAN!!! haha, and I love me some Jack Sparrow, but I don't really see the correlation.

AND ARE YOU SAYING YOU READ IT???

G.C. Nash I'm LISTENING to it RIGHT NOW! *as per instructions* <3

Reading Teen YAAAAS!!! Books 2-4 are soooo much better too!!

Reading Teen YAAAAS!!! Books 2-4 are soooo much better too!!

G.C. Nash Yeah, that's the general sense I get, that the books increase in stupendousness, but I like it already, so that's good. : )

Reading Teen Yay! This makes me tremendously happy!!!

Reading Teen Yay! This makes me tremendously happy!!!