Rachel Thompson's Reviews > The Wraith

The Wraith by Goodloe Byron

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: mainstream, first-reads
Read in January, 2011

I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads program.

Linus moves out of his parents' house and in with his friend John, where he is free to do pretty much whatever he pleases. He spends a lot of time drinking and doing drugs with his friends, so much so that his work suffers. One of his friends disappears, and there's always this creepy neighbor guy hanging around, no matter where he goes.

I wanted to like this book, I really did, despite the fact that it was nothing like I expected it to be. I would have enjoyed this a lot more if the author hadn't decided not to use a single set of quotation marks anywhere in the book. This really annoyed me. As did the fact that most of this book was written in the passive style and we seemed to skip over huge chunks of time just to get on to the next scene. This made me start questioning what was going on as I had a hard time keeping up. About halfway through the book, the actual plot begins. By this time I had grown tired of reading about all of the drinking and drugs, not to mention Linus' need to sabotage his job prospects--this is not a likable character at all, yet I kept reading, trying to figure out what the actual plot of the book was, and by the time it was sort of introduced, the book was over, and I was left with more questions than answers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wraith.