Catherine's Reviews > One Night Is Never Enough

One Night Is Never Enough by Anne Mallory

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: bad-childhood, brawler, class-difference, england, excellent, gambling, historical, hot, it-moved-me, manipulation-plot, rake-bad-boy, read-2011, romance, series
Read from March 03 to 04, 2011 — I own a copy

*sigh* Can I find a way to un-read this book? Because I would kill to be able to read it and discover the magic of it all over again. It was perfect. *sigh* Perfect.

Last September I was minding my own business when a GR friend urged me to read a book she had loved. I looked and realized that I had put that very same book on my wishlist a while ago but had never bought it. So I took the plunge and grabbed myself a copy. That book was Seven Secrets of Seduction (the first book in this series) and it opened a whole new world to me. I loved it so much that I immediately bought Mallory’s backlist. I have slowly been working my way through them—forcing myself not to rush and read them all in one big gulp.

I have enjoyed her backlist (some more than others), but nothing came quite close to my love of SSoS. I was almost starting to think that nothing would be able to top it in my eyes. How amazing to find out that not only did I love the first book in this series enough to make it one of my favorite books of 2010, but I loved the second book just as much!

So, let’s talk about this book… This book had absolutely killer sexual tension. I am a total sucker for it, and oh, Anne Mallory is awesome at writing it. The tension and the emotion breathed off the pages and sucked me in. I was absolutely dying for them to be able to find a way to touch each other at one point. “Soon” was such torture for me. I loved it!

I also loved the heroine, Charlotte. She was thrust in a situation at the beginning of the book that was just horrible, but she didn’t break. She had her moment of despair when she was alone and then she stood up and did what had to be done. I loved that she walked into that situation with no illusions and took victory away from everyone who had been attempting to manipulate her. She made the choice, not them. I cannot resist a strong heroine.

Roman was another fabulous character. He had a mix of St. Vincent and Derek Craven in him, but was totally unique. He was bold, sexy, and confident and was always plotting. Roman never did anything without thinking many steps ahead. The world was almost like a giant chess game to him.

And when they were together—ah, magic. They were both such strong characters, but we got to see their fears and weaknesses. That vulnerability and the way they couldn’t stay away from each other, even though it would have made the future easier, made their characters have a lot of depth.

This was a very character driven romance. It was all about Roman and Charlotte without too much focus put on outside influences--other than how they affected them and their relationship. It was great because we got to know them so well. Once the characters started falling for each other there was very little angsting over their feelings. They may not have admitted them to each other yet, but they were aware of their own feelings and didn’t waste time irritating me by denying them.

I got to a certain point in the book and realized that Roman was playing a very deep game. I wasn’t sure what exactly he was doing in the background, so that layer of mystery really added a nice feature to the book. I wasn’t sure what his ultimate goal was and the stray little comments he made here and there when talking to his friends had me very unsure of how things were going to end up by the end of the book. And when I found out at the end what his plot had been the whole time—well, I was surprised, but it really made sense when I thought about what he told her in the beginning.

While the emotions between Charlotte and Roman were beautiful, this book wasn’t just excellent because of that. There was some great humor and dialogue between side characters as well. At one point Roman invited Charlotte to a game with his brother. The resulting humor and teasing between certain characters was hilarious.

Speaking of Roman’s brother… Man, Andreas was a jerk. By the end of the book I understood where he was coming from and did like him, but it was touch and go there for a while. He is a very dark, angry man at times and I am intensely curious to see how his romance will develop later this year.

So, in closing…I loved this book. Loved, loved, loved it. If you read Seven Secrets of Seduction and hated it, well…this one probably won’t work for you that well either. But if you enjoyed it or are curious about this book and this author, then I urge you to go pick up this book. And then come back and talk to me about it. ;)

Favorite Quote:
There it was again, that hitch in her voice after he touched her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Night Is Never Enough.

03/03/2011 page 18
5.0% "Oh my! *fans self* I feel the tension already. I loved that first meet! Roman seems like my kind of guy." 11 comments
03/03/2011 page 41
11.0% "

"She sank onto a hard wooden chair in her beautiful ball gown and tried not to let the tears fall.

Tried not to think of what would happen to Emily.

Tried not to think of what would happen to her.

Tried to pull together cold pride to save her once more. For one day soon, she was simply going to melt and drain away instead, just like her tears."

" 12 comments
03/03/2011 page 63
16.0% ""Let none of them win here in this hall." - Ooh, I like her here. Fierce." 3 comments
03/03/2011 page 80
21.0% "

"There it was again, that hitch in her voice after he touched her.

The sound made him want to do things to her. Dirty, animalistic things. To bruise her lips with his, muss her perfectly coiffed hair while scraping her on the sheets, blotch her skin with feral color as she lost track of her own name--head tilted back, eyes glazed, unintelligible sounds emerging."

" 16 comments
03/03/2011 page 125
33.0% "

"Charlotte thought he might as well have "would be in Newgate, if I weren't rich" imprinted on his forehead. Or maybe "would be in Hell, if I weren't so beautiful."

- Charlotte on Roman" 5 comments
03/03/2011 page 170
44.0% "Oh Lord, the tension is delicious, but it's killing me." 4 comments
03/03/2011 page 200
52.0% "Ooh la la. That practically had my toes curling. No wonder she's ticked!" 5 comments
03/03/2011 page 250
65.0% "Curious... I'm starting to think there are more things going on than what meets the eye." 4 comments
03/03/2011 page 277
72.0% "Roman is playing quite the deep game... I wish I didn't have to go to work in the morning! I want to keep reading."
03/04/2011 page 280
73.0% ""Tears pricked as a card at the bottom of the stacked house wavered. It would so easily pull all of the rest down when it fell. She hadn't realized that so many people could flick the cards holding the supports.""
03/04/2011 page 295
77.0% "The conversation going on is hilarious. LOL!" 9 comments
03/04/2011 page 310
81.0% ""Charlotte, who asks for everything. Charlotte, who asks for nothing in return for herself."" 2 comments
03/04/2011 page 318
83.0% "The emotion in that scene... It was perfect."
03/04/2011 page 372
97.0% "

*sigh* It was fabulous. FABULOUS! I wish I could scrub my mind and rediscover the magic of this book all over again.

P.S. This book only has 372 pages if someone feels like fixing it.

" 3 comments

Katyana Aiiiie! I think I have to jump on this one next. Going to wait to comment on your updates until I am reading it, so I can chat as I go.

Catherine Definitely read it next! I cannot wait to hear your take on it and to see if you love it as much as I am.

Katyana Yay for getting to read a whole string of books in a row by my favorite authors!!

message 5: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ downloading sample now... thanks for the comments! I've only read one by this author and thought it OK, but the reviews for this one has me wanting. :-)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "Love, love, LOVE this! I wish I could un-read it just to be able to rediscover it again. *sigh* Perfect."

Full review to follow.

Catherine KarLynP wrote: "downloading sample now... thanks for the comments! I've only read one by this author and thought it OK, but the reviews for this one has me wanting. :-)"

I like some of her older work, but Seven Secrets of Seduction and One Night Is Never Enough are her best. They are simply perfect for me.

Catherine Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "
WOW. That's high praise indeed. I look forward to your full review on this, Catherine! You ladies have got to stop making me want to buy more books! LOL"

Ally72 Hi Catherine...It looks like you loved this one! Yay! I have had the flu the past two days so I have not been able to read...I hope to be able to today. I am glad you liked it and I can't wait to talk to you about it.

Catherine I hope you like it just as much! Otherwise you'll be looking at me sideways as I gush. ;P

I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is the pits.

Ally72 SPOILER

Thanks Catherine for the thoughts...I don't feel as great as I thought I would so I haven't been reading very much today. We usually like a lot of the same books so I have high hopes for this one...It has already gotten off to a great start. I am just at the beginning where Roman has "won" Charlotte in the bet, but I am wondering if Andreas will also have a future book???

Katyana At the end of the book, it says "Don't miss Andreas Merrick's story, coming from Avon Books in Fall 2011"

Yay!

Catherine Ally - Katyana's right!

Katyana - I am so stoked that we get two Mallory books in the same year!

Katyana ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Ally72 Thanks ladies for the information...I have a feeling already that Andreas' book is going to be fantastic! Woo-hoo!!!

message 16: by Catherine (last edited Mar 05, 2011 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine I think it will be. I can't wait to figure out (view spoiler) <---Ally, don't read that until you finish the book.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "I hate to gush too much. :) Who am I kidding? :P It is one of the best (non reread) books that I have read in quite a while. "

Well, if you loved it that much, feel free to gush. I know I do! LOL Glad it was such a great read for you!

Is this the book after that Seven Secrets one that you and Quinn were talking about recently-ish, that you both enjoyed a lot?

Catherine Yes! This is the second one in the series. Seven Secrets of Seduction was the first book. Excellent as well. :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "Yes! This is the second one in the series. Seven Secrets of Seduction was the first book. Excellent as well. :D"

Thanks, Catherine. I bought the book based on your discussions. It's amongst my TBR mountains. ^_^

Catherine You should bump it up!

Bump it! Bump it! Bump it! ;P

Quinn ^^^What she said!^^^

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* LOL! Hmm...I keep hearing these bump, bump sounds. Verrryyy strange....

Okay, okay, I'll try and read it this month, ok? ^_^

message 23: by Katyana (last edited Mar 05, 2011 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katyana Catherine wrote: "You should bump it up!

Bump it! Bump it! Bump it! ;P"

Bump it! Bump it! Bump it!!

(we'll get a chorus going)

Catherine LOL!

Catherine Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "LOL! Hmm...I keep hearing these bump, bump sounds. Verrryyy strange....

Okay, okay, I'll try and read it this month, ok? ^_^"

You better if you know what's good for you! That sounds great, Jayne. ^_^

Katyana Hahaha!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "You better if you know what's good for you! That sounds great, Jayne. ^_^"

LMAO! Ooohhh, I'm scared now! Chat to you about it soon-ish, Catherine!

Catherine Okay. :)

message 29: by Caty (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caty Oh man, now I really have to read this!!!
was it even better than Seven secrets? O.O

Catherine Hmmm...hard to say, really. I don't think I could pick a favorite between them because I enjoyed them both so much.

message 31: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn  Whoa! This is going to my TBR!!

Catherine I hope you enjoy it, Autumn.

message 33: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn  well i figure since we have quite compatible book preferences, and u marked it 5* I simply cannot pass it up, now can i??? :p

Catherine We are pretty similar. :)

message 35: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 17, 2011 03:23PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Great review, Catherine! I guess I'm going to have to get this one sooner than I thought.

Catherine Lisa Kay wrote: "Great review, Catherine! I guess I'm going to have to get this one sooner than I thought."

Thanks, Lisa Kay. I would recommend starting with the first book if you haven't read it. It was excellent as well.

message 37: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great review, Catherine. I seem to have added a lot of historical romance to Mt. TBR because of you. LOL!

Catherine AH wrote: "Great review, Catherine. I seem to have added a lot of historical romance to Mt. TBR because of you. LOL!"

Happy to do my part to bankrupt you. ;P

Katyana And me! >.<

Catherine Mwhahahahaha! My evil plan is working. ^_^

Katyana Hahahaha >.<

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Catherine! I'm really looking forward to trying this author.

message 43: by AH (new) - added it

AH Katyana wrote: "And me! >.<

I need to write to Amazon and ask them to ban me. I add books to my cart hand over fist because of you Miz Catherine. >.<"

Catherine, are you getting a commission? You should.

Catherine Tammy - I hope her style suits you!

AH - Ha ha, I wish.

Quinn Love your review, Catherine. I can't wait to read this one. SSoS is one of my top romances ever (not just for 2010), so I'm really excited that you loved this one just as much.

Catherine SSoS was fabulous. It's one I'll reread many times. I hope this book is just as good for you, Quinn!

Juliana I have a tendency to read reviews you write about books I had decided not to read for some reason or another ... and find my mind changed! My wallet and TBR pile hate you ;-)

Catherine Juliana wrote: "I have a tendency to read reviews you write about books I had decided not to read for some reason or another ... and find my mind changed! My wallet and TBR pile hate you ;-)"

Ha! I've found myself cursing your name a time or two because of that very thing. ;) So what initially turned you off reading this?

Juliana Glad to know we're mutually inconvenient for one another, LOL.

One of the major things was that I'm not a huge fan of those forced situations that initially sets the two of them up, and since a lot of the Amazon reviews slammed the book I decided to just skip it. I sooo loved Seven Secrets of Seduction and didn't think this book could live up to it.

Catherine I was very nervous about how that would be set up. Those things have the potential to go so wrong.

I really hope you love it because it was just as good as SSoS for me. I didn't read them back to back, though, even though I usually try to reread to be fresh. I didn't want the new book to suffer from my obsession with the awesomeness of the first book. I'd read them back to back now, though. ;)

« previous 1