Sue's Reviews > The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean

The Wave by Susan Casey

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: nature, true-adventure, science
Read from July 14 to 24, 2011

Something about the very idea of this book caught my attention when I read a short blurb about it in Entertainment Weekly, and it's been on my list to read.

The enormity (no pun intended) of the power of waves, the long history of human devastation, and increasing occurance due mostly likely to global climate change was a very eye-opening experience, and that's exactly why I wanted to read this in the first place. I wanted to learn about the facts behind freak waves. Unlike past tsunamis, the most reason one in Japan was captured on video by countless eyewitnesses, allowing all of us to finally SEE just how destructive these forces can be.

My only gripe would be the lovefest with the extreme surfers. I understand that these folks probably have more experience with--and thus an understanding of--giant waves and the combination of conditions that cause them, but at the same time I really didn't need to read over and over again about injuries and consequences of their actions. Believe it or not, but dialogue like: "Whoa, dude, that was, like, fuckin knarly, and WHOA!" isn't nearly as compelling as one might believe after the tenth or twentieth time. If I wanted that, I'd watch Keanu Reeves.

Byond that, however, I think this book is a fascinating read and I was left both amazed and a bit fearful of what our changing climate has in store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave.