Anne's Reviews > Final Crisis

Mar 05, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, read-in-2011
Read from March 11 to 17, 2011

I feel like my giving this thing 3 stars is pretty generous. Then again, maybe I'm just not a big enough DC fan to understand everything that was going on.
I was pretty surprised when they killed off Batman. Well, not surprised that they killed him, because that's one of the main reasons I read Final Crisis. No, I was surprised that his death didn't get any real time on the page. Honestly, I kinda thought that I missed it, because it happened so fast.
Imagine you're in a car going about 180 mph. Your drunk cousin, 'Grant', is behind the wheel. You can hear the sirens in the distance, and you begin to realize what a HUGE mistake it was to ride to the store for a pack of cigarettes with him. As you're flying down the road in the middle of the chaos, you notice something out of the corner of your eye on the side of the road.
Hey! Was that a llama in a prom dress?!
That was the extent of Batman's death in Final Crisis.
What a disappointment.
Anyhoo, the rest of Final Crisis is too out there to even complain about. If you're a fan of Morrison's trademark wackiness, then you'll probably love this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Crisis.

message 1: by Mike (last edited Mar 18, 2011 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike Bingo - couldn't have summed up the reader experience better.

Anne I liked your review, too. I felt like I had to read it, because it had the Death of Batman in it, ya know? Once I started reading it I felt totally lost, and (worse) uninterested. DC kills me with that parallel universe/megaverse crap. I don't mind a little bit of it, but sheesh...overkill!

Mike Yeah, I totally felt duped into reading this when I saw how little airtime Batman and his "death" actually got. I didn't know anything more about the continuity jump between Batman RIP and Batman Reborn than before I'd read this unholy mess.

Anne Exactly. The Black Lantern story arc by Geoff Johns placed more importance on Batman's death than the one that killed him off did. I was shocked (and pisssed)! Maybe if Final Crisis had been a good story (or had a few redeeming qualities), I wouldn't have cared as much. Nah.

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Quixote You saw the llama in the prom dress too?! I thought I was the only one!

Been too many years since I read this – deserves a re-read soon.

Anne Let me know when and I'll do it with you. I'm betting there's more stuff I missed. Or not.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Quixote Yeah let's get back in the car with drunk cousin Grant and go for another whacky race! I've got me 6 more years of DC Comics knowledge since the last time so hopefully more stuff'll make sense.

Donovan I'm so torn. This is like DC required reading, but I hate required reading. And Morrison is DC's weird uncle.

Anne Sadly, you're right. This story is THE STORY that every DC reader has to choke down. Not only for the Batman stuff, but Barry Allen comes back in this one. It's soooooo convoluted, that I honestly missed the part about Barry, until I saw it referenced in a different book. Totally missed it! This was classic Morrison crazysauce, but you almost HAVE to read it. Gah!

Gavin Morrison has some great Batman arcs...this is not. Plus, it spawned the worst books ever: the Final Crisis Companion stories!

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Ugh. I can't even...

Gavin I did it for everyone instead. Remember?

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne And we thank you for you brave sacrifice.
*salutes*

Gavin I want a holiday weekend in my honour.

message 15: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Gavin Day? Sure, why not?! It'll be a day devoted to drinking &...well, more drinking.

Gavin Which is ironic. As I can't. Lol

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I know, but I can't help teasing you. To be extremely honest, I rarely drink anything myself.

Gavin I wasn't a big drinker other than university and early 20s....but even then, I was the light drinker in the gang. I could still drink people under the table...but why bother? Now it just kills me once or twice a year when I'm dying for a rum and coke.

message 19: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I used to be able to drink frat boys under the table, but these days I get tipsy if I drink one light beer. And then I feel bloated...

Donovan Morrison. Story arcs so great they encourage drinking. I think I'll read it eventually, but I won't like it. I'll just take the medicine.

Gavin Grant is brilliant, but even the geniuses have misfires.

Gavin Spectacularly loud ones.

Donovan And often, apparently...

message 24: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne My theory is that he can only keep the voices at bay for so long. After a few volumes, he turns himself over to the Dark Side.

Gavin Speaking of Morrison, he got a new job as EIC of Heavy Metal...not a bad spot for his brand of weird.

message 26: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Yeah, that sounds like a good place for him.

Donovan Haha, Anne. Definitely. They all can't be winners.

message 28: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Well, he's living proof of that, Donovan. LOL

message 29: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike Anne wrote: "Sadly, you're right. This story is THE STORY that every DC reader has to choke down. Not only for the Batman stuff, but Barry Allen comes back in this one. It's soooooo convoluted, that I honestly ..."

I could go a lifetime without more SHOULD reads. "Should" has become a curse word in my lexicon - gets in the way of actually thinking whether I *want* to do something, if I'd *enjoy* it, or if there's an actual-stinking *need* for it.

message 30: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I've given up on so many 'should reads' as soon as I look at the art. Yeesh. I stick 'em right back in my library bag!

Gavin Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy, etc.) wrote the article that changed my mind. He said reading something should only be done for enjoyment, and that there's no reason to slog through a book you can't stand just because someone else said you "should" read it. It matters THAT people read, not WHAT they read.

Before that I used to suffer through things just so I could say I read it. I still want to read classics, but I don't force through them if it's killing my soul. Comics? I put those down all the time now.

message 32: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne That's a great way to think about it. Bruebaker wrote something like that, too. I had total respect for him after that.

Donovan Very well put, Gavin. My "should" list would be ten times longer than my "want" list. And often times we don't even enjoy the shoulds.

message 34: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Sadly, High Fidelity is one of my 'shoulds', but not one of my 'wants'.

Gavin Umm. Correct that shit. Post haste. It's funny, and sweet, and music! And hits the nail on the head for how a lot of male thinking goes. And it isn't very long either.

message 36: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I *gulp* am not a huge music person. I like it, but I'm not someone who has tons of stuff collected or anything.
*runs...hides*

Gavin It's OK. My wife is like you that way. If she knows she sings along, and she's not snobby like me. She also hates it when I play "Name that Tune". I also nearly divorced her twice: Once, when she didn't know "Alive" by Pearl Jam, and the other? "November Rain" by GNR...

That being said, if you read High Fidelity, I will never attack your musical retardation...much.

message 38: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Oddly enough, Hubs is more like you. He gave up on me and music a long time ago, as well.

Gavin not odd at all. We musical men attract lovely ladies all the time.

message 40: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I've seen your wife! Still don't know how you pulled that one off, buddy.

Gavin That makes 2 of us. At least.

message 42: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne LMAO!

Donovan Final Crisis, indeed. Yous twos...

message 44: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I'm a great friend! I plan on letting Gavin crash on my couch when his wife figures out he's a schmuck.

Donovan Lol. Crash. Is that what you call it?

message 46: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Well, unless he wants to try to bunk in the boys' room. Fair warning: Smells like teen spirit.
And I'm awfully sure my husband isn't going to scooch over and make room. He's cool, but not THAT cool.

Gavin That's girl antiperspirant.

message 48: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars