Becca's Reviews > The Vespertine

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: young-adult

The Vespertine was set in the 1800 Victorian era, and the dialogue of the story definitely stayed true to that. It hits on most big genre's so there is something for everyone. There is the paranormal aspect of Amelia's powers, a romance, and mystery. The forbidden romance of this book is really what drew me in, and it was everything you would want from a forbidden romance. A guy from the lesser edge of society wanting to be with the girl that is out of his social class, and they both can't and won't let go.

Amelia has the power to see into the future but only a sunset. While she is in Baltimore with her cousin preparing for her debut, people hear about her power and she is sought after to tell fortunes. On her first night she meets Nathanial and they are instantly connected. But with one dark predication everything changes. Amelia is no longer sought out she is feared because perhaps these aren't predictions, perhaps she is making these things come true? This book was a great read, and if I had one complaint I would just say that it took a little time to get into it, but it was well worth the read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vespertine.