Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden's Reviews > The Magical Christmas Cat

The Magical Christmas Cat by Lora Leigh

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: _theme_animals_or-with, _fantasy_paranormal-romance, _author_nalini-singh, _fantasy, _romance, _science-fiction, _fantasy_urban-fantasy, _fantasy_paranormal, _theme_shapeshifters-werewolves, _theme_cats
Recommended to Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden by: I picked it up on my own curiousity
Recommended for: Paranormal Romance fans and people who enjoy reading short stories
Read from December 29, 2010 to January 15, 2011 — I own a copy

This was a truly wonderful read that I easily would have swallowed in a day if I hadn’t been so busy at the time I was reading it. Each story in the book had a cat or a human male with cat like qualities (like the Changelings and the Breeds), and I liked the different ways the authors did this.

I don't really have time to do a proper review of each story (and there shouldn't be any spoilers to worry about), but this is my quick thoughts on each, anyway:

Nalini Singh’s “Stroke Of Enticement”:
This story is part of the Psy-Changeling series which I still need to read and you truly don’t have to read that series to enjoy “Stroke Of Enticement”. This story was probably my favourite in the whole book. Nalini Singh is truly a brilliant writer and she creates fascinating characters that you fall in love with and don’t want to let go of again. I loved Annie and Zack together and I liked that Annie’s trust issues were done in such a lovely and realistic way. Her handicap was also a truly wonderful and realistic addition to the story which really made you connect to her even more, especially since she is also such a strong and intelligent person.

To illustrate my point, here’s my favourite quote (page 25-26) "She'd seen enough DarkRiver couples to identify the kind of women dominant changeling men found attractive - and Zack was definitely a dominant. Those women were all striking in some way, but it was their self-assurance that really shone through. Vividly intelligent, they didn't hesitate to speak their minds, or give back as good as they got. Feminine strength didn't scare men of Zack Quinn's ilk, it enticed them.

And that was exactly what attracted her to him. She knew after having met him only once that he'd never tell her she couldn't do something. Zack would simply expect her to match him.
And that was a seduction all on its own."

I simply have to read more by Nalini Singh, hence why I’ve added some of her books to my large planned reading pile.

Erin McCarthy’s “Christmas Bree”:
Another paranormal romance story I really liked. Basically, about a girl who looses her beloved house, but finds love instead. I really liked Bree’s sensitivity and how she stood up for herself. At first I didn’t like Ian, her love interest, but he grew on me.
Their romantic moments were sweet and I liked how they, separately of each other, had had a dream about having sex together before they started seeing each other, and how the dream eventually happened in real life exactly like it was in the dream.

Linda Winstead Jones’s “Sweet Dreams”:
Such a great story! It took me some pages to get hooked, but then it just became a complete page-turner. Quite a scary story! It’s about Ruby who receives a gift, that turns out to be supernaturally dangerous, and how the parapsychology Professor Zane Benedict sees the signs early on.

I loved the world-building in this story which was better than expected. Zane was a wonderful character – I responded more to him than Ruby, as I thought she was a bit too obsessed with eating sweets which became a bit annoying.

Lora Leigh’s “Christmas heat”:
I haven’t read the Breed series which this story is part of, but I found that you don’t really need to have read them, though I will, eventually. This is probably my second favourite story in the book, as the characters and world-building was fantastic. I like when a story is not just about the romance, but has a whole interesting world to support it and get into. I really liked Haley who gets into danger when she overhears a plot against the Breeds, and I equally responded to the Breed enforcer called Noble. They had some wonderful moments.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A truly recommended Christmas read, though you can easily read it any time of the year, I would think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magical Christmas Cat.

12/29/2010 page 26
7.0% "Just started it and it's soooo good. Nalini Singh's story is the one I'm reading right now :)"
show 10 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden I love this quote, page 25-26 "She'd seen enough DarkRiver couples to identify the kind of women dominant changeling men found attractive - and Zack was definitely a dominant. Those women were all striking in some way, but it was their self-assurance that really shone through. Vividly intelligent, they didn't hesitate to speak their minds, or give back as good as they got. Feminine strength didn't scare men of Zack Quinn's ilk, it enticed them.

And that was a seduction all on its own."