Alycia's Reviews > The Pursuit of Pleasure

The Pursuit of Pleasure by Elizabeth Essex

Aug 06, 2011

bookshelves: free-kindle, historical-romance, favorites, author-elizabeth-essex
Read from August 03 to 06, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with Elizabeth Essex's debut novel, I really did enjoy it and recommend it to others who like historical romance with a complete story.

Lizzie Paxton wants freedom. Freedom to do what she wants, by herself even though she is a privileged woman. She wants to be a widow. To have the freedom and security without having to deal with a man. Captain James Marlowe (Jamie), a life long friend of Lizzie's over hears this and cannot help but offer her the proposition she wants. Marry him, all his money and a vacant cottage can be hers. He will likely die anyway at some point being in the Royal Navy.

Lizzie's parents are beside themselves with the news of Lizzie's impending/rushed marriage. This story definitely has a meddling father that thinks he knew what was best when Lizzie and Jamie were younger. His involvement is revealed later. Jeremy Wroxham, Jamie's wastrel, dandy of a cousin is up to no good. He wants Jamie's cottage. Definitely the villian in the story, he's always popping up when he shouldn't be around, there is definitely a twist to reveal the mastermind behind Wroxham.

Jamie must deceive Lizzie in one of the biggest ways someone can to another. He set out to serve his secret Naval mission that has to do with smuggling, but got caught up with his love with Lizzie. He has always loved her. Lizzie is a strong and independent woman, the only thing that scares her a bit, is her love for Jamie. Adventure and danger is no problem to her. Once she finds out the ultimate betrayal, she has to decide what players in the dangerous game she has invited onto her property, are the bad guys and who the good guys are. And if she can really trust and love Jamie again. Is he worth it?

I enjoyed the mystery behind the smuggling, I felt the plot dragged a little bit, but was able to over look that. The chemistry between Lizzy and Jamie was explosive. I love two passionate people. I have to commend Essex for her well written and steamy love scenes. Some of the best I have read in a while. There are a few love scenes glossed over, but in my opinion this romance was still worth the read. I definitely would call it historical romance with a few steamy love scenes, and of course there is a great HEA. I only wished there was an epilogue so I could find out what happened next with the couple. I have A Sense of Sin and will get to it soon. A Sense of Sin features Lizzie's friend, Celia, who made a few appearances in this book.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, I said that as I closed it with the last page last night. I give this one four stars and look forward to the future work of Elizabeth Essex.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Pleasure.

Rach~The Highlander luverrr AL how is it ... good?

Alycia Rach~The Highlander luverrr wrote: "AL how is it ... good?"

Hey Rach,
It is good. Its historical romance with a few steamy love scenes. There is a bit a mystery surrounding what the hero is up to, but its kind of moving slow. I'm over looking that because the hero and heroine have great chemistry and were childhood friends so I am waiting for a reconciliation and more explosive love scenes. I'd say it was a solid 4 stars for most of it, i have 70 pages left so I'll let you know how it ends :)

Rach~The Highlander luverrr Thanks al loved your review :)

Alycia You're welcome and thank you! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Alycia!

Alycia UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great review, Alycia!"

Thanks Darlin'! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome, Sweet thang! ;)

Alycia Hehe :)