Rayda's Reviews > Ruby Holler

F_50x66
Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: childrens_lit, creech_sharon
Read from December 21 to 23, 2010

I'm in the middle of this remarkable book and already I have sobbed at the tenderness and reality of it. It is a story of two Trouble Twins who live without love in a Home for Children. Then they have the opportunity to spend the summer with a couple whose children have already moved on. The couple lives in a remote place called Ruby Holler. Watching the mother slowly win over the two children with her love and understanding and refusal to punish is reminding me what I should be doing as a teacher. The scene where the boy raised his hand up to block a blow that he thought was coming reminded me of the unconscious raising of the arm that one of my students did earlier this year while in a conversation with the principal. Too many of our children are being raised without the love and tenderness that they need. I hope I can do a better job of supplying it in my classroom. I'm not finished yet, but I know it is a good one.

Okay, now I've finished the book, and I have to say, it took some surprising twists and turns on me. I would have given it five stars, but the book feels unfinished to me. You think you know the resolution, but the author didn't give it. I really grew to love Florida and Dallas (the two children) and their relationship with each other, and Sairy and Tiller's relationship with each other (the two main adults), and the relationship that developed between the four of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby Holler.