Scarlet's Reviews > Once in a Full Moon

Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber

Dec 27, 13

bookshelves: books-i-own, paranormal-romance, read-in-2013, series, werewolves, young-adult
Read from December 24 to 26, 2013

Once in a Full Moon surprised me with how much I actually enjoyed it. The only other books by Ellen Schreiber that I've read was her Vampire Kisses series, and I quit reading half way through that series because I thought the characters and the world the author created for those books were too under developed. So my expectations for Once in a Full Moon were very low, but I'm happy to say my assumption that this book would suffer from the same problems as Vampire Kisses was wrong.

Once in a Full Moon is the story of a teenage girl named Celeste Parker. She has two best friends, is dating Nash, the popular boy at her high school, and is considered to be one of the people in the popular clique. However, despite having what most high school girls would want, Celeste does not feel very satisfied with her life. That's not a surprise. Nash completely sucks as a boyfriend. He expects her to attend all his sports games and act like sweet, supportive girlfriend he expects her to be, but he doesn't care about Celeste's interests. I found myself wondering through most of the book why Celeste is even wasting her time with this guy.

Enter Brandon. Is the new kid at their high school who Celeste immediately takes a liking to. Unfortunately for her, Celeste's two best friends Ivy and Abby don't approve because they're selfish judgmental jerks who don't like anyone "different" from then. Which leads me to one of my complaints about this story. Celeste's friendship with Ivy and Abby. Celeste is far more mature than these people she calls "friends". I wasn't sold on her friendship with these girls because her personality does not mesh with theirs. Celeste enjoys volunteering, doing school work, and getting to know people most of her classmates would consider "weird." Abby and Ivy's main interests are cheerleading, gossiping, attending all their boyfriends' games like good little girlfriends, and acting like judgmental bitches. I didn't find it realistic that a girl like Celeste would ever be friends with those two girls.

For the most part, that didn't take away from my enjoyment of this book, though. I was addicted to the story until the very end and I plan on reading the next book in the series. I'd recommend Once in a Full Moon for readers looking for a fun, fluffy young adult romance about werewolves.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once in a Full Moon.

12/23/2013 marked as: reading-soon