Paul Pellicci's Reviews > The Soul of Man under Socialism

The Soul of Man under Socialism by Oscar Wilde

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: interesting
Read on December 21, 2010

The Soul of Man under Socialism was a very interesting little book. Although, I don't believe Oscar Wilde's interests included the common Socialist schools. Yet, socialism was the fad of the day. Many intellectuals were interested in the theories, but Oscar was in his eyes an artist and an Individualist. Capital "I" on individualist.
I couldn't find a date for this writing, but I believe his legal problems and the rumors preceding his legal problems were actually the motivation, and not economics or politics.
As many artists and I consider myself one, believe their work and their life are one. Oscar showed his colors as far as common people go. I could not imagine him an equal to a chimney sweep or a waiter.
Oscar was hurt and he was attempting to argue that life style, and art, especially his, should be free from the common people's rules. Poetry was not controlled because nobody read poetry.
I find Oscar Wild a very human elitist and although I thought it sad, I enjoyed his work immensely and this work was no different.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul of Man under Socialism.