Rocio's Reviews > Very LeFreak

Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn

Jul 29, 2013

Read from December 21 to 23, 2010

** spoiler alert ** "Truly. HOW had people survived before the iPod?" - page 35

Pretty much sums up Veronica's, or Very LeFreak (yeap, as in Chic's "Le Freak") obsessive playlist making view of the world. This chick is hard wired to her macbook, iphone, ipod, and pretty much any other apple product out there. She's a former nomad gipsy who's forced to come back home to the states by her mother's untimely death. Which means that her addiction goes waaaay deeper than a hard drive melting virus.

Very is so tech addicted that she endangers her scholarship to Columbia (she's sort of a genius in her own right) and dips more than a toe or two into self destructive territory by screwing up her friendships.

Moment of truth comes when she tries to strangle her friend/paramour, Brian, while naked after a tryst w/ a Ghanaian student (who has a girlfriend) when she discovers that Brian killed her macbook. Ouch.

She's sent to dry out, reboot?, at a camp for tech addicts by her roomie, Lavinia ("it's J-E-N-N-I-F-E-R." - you'll get it when you read the book), Brian, and Brian's roomie, Jean Wayne, where she delves into her past demons and makes some major realizations that affect those closest to her.

It's a pretty cool premise for a book. Especially when considering how nowadays all we see of other people are their profiles, statuses, tweets, or tops of their heads if we're lucky enough to be in the same room with them. It's also full of wit and snark, which are right up my mean spirited alley :) Meme on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very LeFreak.