Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > After the Golden Age

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: uf
Read on June 19, 2011

This feels like a perfect "summer book" - superheroes and supervillains, they go with summer like beaches and ice cream. What I liked the most about this book was that the heroine isn't a superhero, she's the absolutely normal daughter of the city's premiere superheroes. That she has feelings of inadequacy and severe parent issues is an understatement. She's also been a frquent kidnapping victim for most of her life (the opening chapter with her boredom at another kidnapping was great).

Now, just when she finally has built a life for herself, Celia's world starts falling apart. Crime is escalating in the city, her parent's archnemesis is finally going to trial, and Celia has been brought into the case.

Vaughn does the "seemingly weak character comes into her own" well - the character's journey was believable, and it was also easy to root for Celia.

I really enjoyed it, I would have liked a bit more interaction with some of the characters, but I was still satisfied with the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Golden Age.

06/19/2011 page 90
30.0% "Good start here too. I like the "normal" child of superheros. The first chap with the kidnappers was great."