Jenn's Reviews > C is for Corpse

C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, novel, read-2010
Read in December, 2010

This book was great. It was a fast, funny read full of just enough twists that I really had no idea who the final killer was going to be -- but I should have known all along. Along the way, there were some striking lines, some fast dialogue, and not too much guns-blazing action (which is a relief). The author moves from witty little snips of flirtatious dialogue to observations of the surrounding town that cross the border into literature. There's more than a trace of Chandler and even a little Carver in the way she deals with her well-known but completely made up California town and its crazy, ritzy inhabitants.

There are two mysteries afoot: one, the investigation of a near-fatal crash that's left the son of a rich family a shell of his former self; two, the not-for-profit mystery of where her landlord's new girlfriend has come from (and what she may want). The first leads detective Kinsey into a world of wealth and disfunction. The best part of this book is that not everything is better at the end; not everything is resolved neatly. People are hurt and stay hurt. That's a strange thing to root for, but in a mystery book, I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read C is for Corpse.