Ilona's Reviews > Salting Roses

Salting Roses by Lorelle Marinello

Dec 21, 2010

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** This book could probably be categorized as a good summer beach read, or even a cute Hollywood Rom-Com, but nothing more serious than that. There were several shortcomings that resulted in a disappointing story. I thought the characters languished in their stereotypes (uptight Yankee grandmother, bombshell mother, "simple" Southern daughter) and could have developed into something more if given the chance. The story seemed limited and predictable, especially given the short timeline of events. I would have loved to have seen Gracie in a fish-out-of-water scenario in Connecticut, trying to fit in with her Yankee family. I also thought it was unrealistic that SO many events happened at the same time (Artie's death, Clare's bonding with her sister, Alice's marriage to the Reverend, etc). What bothered me most was the development of Gracie and Sam's relationship - at times I felt like I was reading a paperback romance novel I bought in an airport. While it seems like some enjoyed that part of the book (nothing wrong with that!) it wasn't my cup of tea. I read the whole book because I wanted to find out what happened, and discovered some cute, funny moments. But all in all, this book was a bit of a let-down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salting Roses.