Tony Black's Reviews > Crosscurrent

Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp

Feb 19, 15

bookshelves: star-wars
Read from January 31 to February 19, 2015 , read count: 1

This is only the second Star Wars book I have read by author Paul S. Kemp, the first being Deceived. The story really feels fresh and different from other Star Wars novels. It is the first story I have read that features (view spoiler) as a major plot device. The book centers around Jaden Korr, a character we have only ever seen in a video game before, and fleshes him out much more than the game ever did. The book even acknowledges how his character fluctuates between light and dark as he did in the game. This book also benefits from some really well-developed secondary characters. The various nods to other eras of the Star Wars timeline are also a nice touch.

As much as I liked this book, there are two things that bother me about it. The first being simply that Jaden Korr is a human male. In the video game you could customize Korr's sex and choose from several different alien races. It just bothers me that when the time came to establish a canonical identity for the character so that they could use it in novels they decided to make it a human male just like most of the other protagonists in the Star Wars universe.

The other issue I have with this book is the author's obsession with bodily "fluids." There are five different occasions spread throughout the entire book where someone throws up all over themselves. One of those times describes the snot and food found in the bile. There is even a reference to scatology.
"So, it's vomit that looses your sense of humor," Drev said. He stripped off his robe, balled it up, and retook his seat. He took a gulp of a flavored protein drink in a plastic pouch, swished it around his mouth. "I will keep that in mind. Maybe scatological humor will amuse you also?"
It was just very off-putting to read so much about bodily functions, something you don't read about very often in most books, let alone Star Wars ones.

Despite all that, I still recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crosscurrent.

04/25/2013 marked as: read