Mercedes's Reviews > City of Fallen Angels

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Jun 24, 2011

Read from May 23 to June 24, 2011

Alright, this took me a while to do, but here it is.

City of Fallen Angels is the fourth book in The Mortal Instruments series and I'm sure highly anticipated by me and a whole others. The book takes place after the end of The Mortal War and everyone is back in New York living their normal lives until Shadowhunters start showing up dead in Downworlder's territories. Simon is in a pickle because everyone wants him on their side and soon he gets banished from his house by his mother. Not only that, but Jace starts acting weird towards Clary for creepy reasons.

Yeah. That's my go at this synopsis. xD

Alright, so obviously I liked the book, but I thought that the previous three were a little better than this one. I'm not sure it's because a lot of the issues in the previous books have been resolved, but I feel like the original trilogy was a good way to go. Don't get me wrong - I love the Shadowhunter world and all the characters, but I feel like this book needed a lot more to it. I didn't find myself really eager to continue reading or on the edge of my seat a lot. Maybe it could be for the fact that this is the first book in the second cycle or something, but I still love Cassandra Clare and know she'll do great things with these books.

I do love however, just the feel of the Shadowhunter world that I was able to get back. I never felt so attached to a group of charcaters ever, so to meet back up with Clary, Jace, Simon and the gang was like being back in my odd comfort zone of this book. I love Shadowhunters. I mean, c'mon. They're badass. I want them on my side!

The cliffhanger at the end did get to me. Why? Please tell me why you always have to go for those cliffhangers. Now, I have to wait till God-knows-when to get the next book.

I digress.

But for the most part, I really liked this book and had high expectations. Even though not all of the expectations were met, it was still a good book and I can't wait for the next one.

Love you, Cassandra & thank you for these weird fantasies of me being a shadowhunter. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Fallen Angels.

05/24/2011 page 51