Craig's Reviews > To Each Their Darkness

To Each Their Darkness by Gary A. Braunbeck

Jan 07, 11

Read in December, 2010

This volume is a revised and expanded version of Braunbeck's earlier volume, FEAR IN A HANDFUL OF DUST: HORROR AS A WAY OF LIFE, but is different enough from the earlier book to make it worth buying even if you have the previous iteration. There are still a few errors in the typesetting of the text, which made the earlier version extremely difficult to follow, but they are relatively minor in comparison. Several sections of the original are not included, but there is a lot of new material. The autobiographical sections remain the most gripping, to the extent that one wishes he'd written that part as a stand-alone. (Or that he someday will.) Some of the critical sections examine somewhat obscure films and books from the genre in minute detail, and he indulges himself by throwing out many little details about the work, actors, and creators and then heaps effusive praise upon them, but this is mostly done with enthusiasm and good humor that reminded me of Harlan Ellison's newspaper columns from many years ago. Even when I wasn't overly captured by the subject, the writing style was enough to captivate my attention. When he lets himself go he can be wildly funny, despite the usual somber tone of most of his well-known work. I'd recommend TO EACH THEIR DARKNESS without reservation to anyone with an interest in horror story-telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Each Their Darkness.