Mike Dagle's Reviews > Analytic Theology: New Essays in the Philosophy of Theology

Analytic Theology by Oliver D. Crisp

Dec 21, 2010

bookshelves: philosophy, theology
Read from December 21, 2010 to January 08, 2011

I've made it pretty clear that 'Analytic Theology' (AT) is an important volume for me. This was primarily a re-read though there were a few essays that I hadn't gotten to in my previous read, particularly the final section 'Analytic Approaches Reconsidered' which is actually one of highlights of the book.

It isn't that I aim to be an apologist for AT or analytic approaches in general but rather that given the success of recent philosophy of religion theology in an analytic key was, as William Abraham put it, an "accident waiting to happen". A happy accident in my estimation. That isn't to say that AT doesn't have serious disadvantages and some of those are highlighted convincingly in the final section buy Eleonore Stump and Sarah Coakley. Both agree, however, that AT is a good development and just needs to be aware of it's blind spots. I look forward to keeping AT central to my own theological/philosophical work (whatever that will look like, at this point I don't know).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Analytic Theology.

12/26/2010 page 124
37.0% "Some re-reading here but terrific so far. Rauder's analysis of certain theological methods as 'bull sessions' was enjoyable and on target."
12/31/2010 page 187
56.0% "Re-reading Wolterstorff's contribution 'How Philosophical Theology Became Possible in the Analytic Tradition' was a treat. It seems to me that it carries to surprising conclusion that the analytic tradition, in a certain sense, is more postmodern than the continental tradition by virtue of it's implicit meta-philosophy of "dialogical pluralism"."
01/03/2011 page 253
75.0% "Reading Eleonore Stump's chapter. I really respect Stump, she combines a sense of care with philosophical rigor like few I've seen."

Mike Dagle Returning to this collection of essays to read it along side 'Radical Orthodoxy: A New Theology'.